My son's coop...now on to the run

iamamy

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 14, 2011
Northwest North Carolina
Does anyone have any suggestions for a run for my sons chickens. He has just finished his coop, and needs to get his run built.

86602_evan_and_coop.jpg

86602_outside_coop.jpg

86602_inside_coop.jpg

OMGosh! that's beautiful! What a great job he did. What kind of suggestions are you looking for?

I would make the run as tall as the building, attach it to wherever the pop door is and make sure its predator proof.

Wow really nice!!! How big is that jewel. I'm also building my run right now. I'm using half inch hardware cloth & will put a 2 foot apron around the entire coop & run. I'm also gonna add a tower on the top. I decided on the tower after I had buried the 4x4's. Now, I'm gonna add another 4x4 adjacent to the short one & go from there.
63768_quail_pen_sideveiw_001.jpg

Thanks for all the nice comments. He is a great kid. For his FFA project (Animal Science class), he researched, designed, and funded 1/2 of this building. But... he hired a fella to help him with the construction. He didn't have the construction knowledge, and we didn't either, but he learned a great deal from working with him. It was expensive, but he is extremely proud of it!! He still has a to get a run built, but he couldn't wait any longer to buy some chicks. Now we just have to figure out what some of his chicks are...

th.gif

WOW! That's a nice coop! Great job
thumbsup.gif

Covered runs are really nice, if possible. Otherwise, I used 2x4 welded wire. Overlap the bottom with hardware cloth/heavy gauge chicken wire, 2 feet high and also buried 2 feet deep. At least 10 sq ft/chicken, more if you can spare it. Again, great job!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom