My son's "fowl language" science project

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by juliechick, Apr 7, 2009.

1. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    My 5th grader is working on a science project that involves chicken language - the sounds they make to communicate. Does anyone have any short video clips of chickens making noise that they could email to me? We don't have a rooster right now. I have hens, so I have a vid of them singing and I have some of baby chicks, too. I just need some of their less frequent sounds.

Thanks in advance

2. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Have you tried looking on YouTube? I know you can't download from there, but you may be able to e-mail the owners of the video to see if you could get a copy.

Here are some of my favorites:

(rooster crowing)

(lots of different chicken noises)

(lots and lots of crowing)

(little bantam roo with a squeaky crow)

3. Umbral_Necropolitan

Umbral_Necropolitan Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2009
    Bakersfield, California
    There is a magazine called Backyard Poultry, which in its feb/march issue for 09 has a article about the 30 some noises chickens make. Tractor Supply Company carries the magazine and would probably be a great source for a project about chicken's noises if you're needing info about them.

Unfortunately I don't have any videos of chickens with sound, but I wish you luck.

4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Here's one with the "alarm" noise:

5. juliechick

juliechick Transplanted Hillbilly

Jun 27, 2008
    Southeast AR
    Thanks for the replies. I do have the Backyard Poultry mag with the article in it. That's partly where the idea came from. He had asked me once or twice if chickens have a language, then we saw that article and thought that might be a good project.

6. Jilara

Jilara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2008
    Bay Area, CA
    You might want to also check on long-crowing chickens. These are the Oriental fowl, including those with long tails. Check here:

www.longtail-fowl.com

It has recordings of some very amazing birds that were selected for their amazing vocalizations. Some even sound like revving car engines!

7. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by