My sons Husky had one of my chickens in his mouth...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Majestic Lane Poultry, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    this morning. Luckily the orpington is still alive. Now it is time for the trolley for that dog.

The poor orpie was in shcok but seemed to be ok on the outside. It was wet out this morning so I have her resting in a cage inside the brooder. Hopefully she will enjoy watching the baby silkies enough to perk back up. Poor baby.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Huskies are notorious for that, it seems. My son has one and he is not welcome to come up here around my birds. I even denied taking my other son's older Dalmatian because I didn't trust him around my birds. I'm even not going to have a dog at all after my older lab/pointer mix girl is gone (she's almost 12).

Hopefully, there won't be any tragedies in your future!

3. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Huskies and Malamutes have a VERY high prey drive. When I had my goat dairy the marauding dogs I had the most trouble with were Huskies, Malamutes, and German Shepherds, in that order. Huskies and Malamutes are very nice dogs in some ways, but I don't think they are EVER trustworthy around any kind of livestock.

4. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    This is our Husky. DH said that the hen kept running circles around him trying to keep away from a rooster and our dog just stayed there resisting temptation. I do not trust Kodi, we keep a close eye on him while our chickens are free ranging. We have taught him that we do NOT eat family members.

[​IMG]

5. ksct

ksct Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    upstate, NY
    boy I wish my dog was that well behaved.....
    he's a husky/shepard mix.... guess 2 of the breeds that cause most trouble. too bad for us..... He wants soooo bad to hunt those birds. he's not allowed and we don't let him get near... and the shock collar helps.... I hated to ahve to do that but then I found that they don't harm the dogs (people can harm them if they're mean) but doing it the right way causes them no harm.
    He can't be around the birds but he plays with the deer that come in the yard. lol.
    anything smaller than him is fair game.... he was funny, never moved and inch last winter when the 650 pound black bear was in the yard.... I think he knew better. lol

ps - hillbilly hen, BEAUTIFUL dog!

6. sticksoup

sticksoup Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Bradenton
    My Malamute has never expressed the least bit of interest in our chickens~ except the once when little Stripes was in the house and decided to help herself to his food straight from the dog bowl. There was some upset that day!

7. whitecra

whitecra Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I know my dogs would kill my chickens. That is what most dogs do. I don't free range my chickens when the dogs are outside the house and I don't let the dogs out when the chickens are out of their pen. We do fine this way.
    Chris

8. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    Our chickens free range and it was my fault that Taylor (the husky) was out unsupervised. Luckily the little black orpington seems none the worse for wear, no thanks to me.

9. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    Quote:OMG your dog looks exactly like the one I used to have, Misty right down to the light blue collar. That's so wierd b/c I have yet to see one who looks just like she did. I've seen plenty of reds but none with the color shading she had or the build. Kodi is beautiful !!!!!!![​IMG] Eventually I would like to get another one b/c she was the most awesome dog we ever had. I loved how she would say mama......in her traditional husky wine. [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 18, 2009
  10. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by