My sons Mallard Drake

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by liljoshappybirds, Oct 5, 2011.

1. liljoshappybirds

liljoshappybirds Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2011
    This is my sons Drake. His name is Socko and he is about three months old. He now has a girl but she is still pretty skiddish, so I am giving her time before I try and get some pics of her. Socko is doing great and they are both so fun to watch. For some odd reason, he doesn't get into the water yet.

[​IMG]

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Aaawww, he looks cute! And very pretty!

3. dumb_cluck

dumb_cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Upstate NY
    Try a subdued color "pond". Not sure but the loud pink may turn him off to getting in.

4. Erbaluce

Erbaluce Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2011
    Rome-Italy
    Quote:Try to put a step close the basin [​IMG]

5. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    He's a nice duck! i like mallards![​IMG]

6. birdboy508

birdboy508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    east taunton
    very nice and you know what else you should get if you like mallards get call ducks there a minature mallared.[​IMG]

7. liljoshappybirds

liljoshappybirds Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2011
    Thank all of you for the advice and comments. I never thought about the color turning him (and now his girl, BB) away. They drink happily from it. I am looking into a stock tank, maybe a rubber one so if I decided to sink it into the ground I could. I am not sure yet. As for our interactions with the ducks, they will not openly let us pet them but they know we are not going to hurt them so they will come within an arms reach. The only time I can really touch them is right when they go into the house at night, although BB still gets mightily upset but it is a work in progress.

8. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    so cute! yeah, could be the colour of the pool or needing a step...

9. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    My drake wouldn't get into our pool for a while (and it was one of the black tub pools like everyone here has), and still does not really LOVE the pool like the others. He's an Ancona so he gets a very dirty chest. He has started to splash around more lately, and enjoy water some, but he still waits his turn to get in. He likes to have the pool to himself.
    My 7 yr. old son is just starting to like his baths too. I have sort of chalked it up to them being a boys who just love to play in the mud and be gross.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by