1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My soon-to-be-processed Barred Rocks

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by shelleyb1969, Sep 19, 2008.

1. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

Just wanted to post a few pics of my 11 week old BRs. Out of 4 eggs, I have 3 roos and 1 hen. [​IMG] The 3 roos will be processed in about 3 weeks, and I'm indecisive on the hen. [​IMG] I just can't justify in my brain the idea of wintering only 1 standard hen. So she may join the boys. But aren't they pretty right now? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2008
  2. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Very nice looking! You can't get the girl a friend for the winter? If not, I guess the best choice is to process her as well then. Hope they turn out yummy for you!

3. fowlwoman1

fowlwoman1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Wenatchee, WA
    I couldn't bring myself to process a young hen with such awesome laying potential.

4. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

How about I give you all my old layers for meat in exchange for a beautiful new layer?

5. shelleyb1969

shelleyb1969 Star Bright Farm

[​IMG] Yeah! I found a home for my pullet! I couldn't find any pullets to go with her, so I found her a new home instead of eating her! [​IMG] I'm so relieved...I REALLY didn't want to put her in the freezer. There's just something so wrong about processing a nice pullet.

6. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    Quote:I agree,well done

7. PAChickenChick

PAChickenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    How do you know that you have 3 Roos? I have 2 Barred Rocks that are about 10 weeks old and I have no clue as to their sex. I know that usually the males are lighter..but it looks like you have 2 light ones and 2 dark ones....so I'm just wondering. I was under the impression that they won't lay eggs until they are about 5 months old....or on the other hand...wouldn't start crowing until 5 months????

I'm really hoping that I have 2 hens because we're all pretty attached to them...but it seems that each week is so nerve wracking. I was just wondering how you already knew.

Thanks for any help!

8. AlabamaChickenHead

AlabamaChickenHead Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2008
    Ashville, AL
    Look close at the picture, you will see that two of his in the picture have distinct combs, and the one hen in the picture does not

9. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    Michelle...if she is lonely, she can come to my house! c'mon, you're already making the trip...[​IMG]

p.s. she looks like she wants to come to Aunt Rhandi's house...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by