My spanish black poult has gray feathers

I Like Turkeys

Crowing
Mar 7, 2022
Florida
Hello! I ordered 6 spanish black poults from Mcmurray a few days back, and upon delivery, one black was significantly duller, or lighter than the others. 5 have insanely dark feather coloration, as you’d expect from a spanish black poult, but one was like a washed-out black, nearly gray but not really gray color.
As of now, my poults seem to be starting to get more real wing feathers, and i took a look at the poult today to discover it’s wings were gray. I’m worried i wasn’t sold a spanish black, does anyone have an explanation as to why it has gray wing feathers?
187DEDD3-A653-492D-8447-0AC764A039A3.jpeg
A0E6DC9C-7398-4926-B51E-55A84983AB42.jpeg

Unfortunately think I was instead sold a "Black Slate" and those gray feathers will stay, given one of my slates has already feathered out a single black wing feather. I'll update with photos of my suspected black slate(Pomegranate) next to a Spanish black and a splash slate.

Unfortunately think I was instead sold a "Black Slate" and those gray feathers will stay, given one of my slates has already feathered out a single black wing feather. I'll update with photos of my suspected black slate(Pomegranate) next to a Spanish black and a splash slate.
There is no such thing as a Black Slate. Black turkeys produced from mating Blue Slate turkeys together are just Black turkeys. They do not have a slate color gene (D).

Blue Slates are BB Dd. When bred together they produce Blue Slates (BB Dd), Self Blues aka Lavenders (BB DD) and Blacks (BB dd).

Spanish Blacks were Black turkeys that were raised in Spain. Nowadays in Europe they refer to any Black turkey as a Spanish Black whether or not it is a fully black turkey. It can also be a Barred Black which is not the same a s a pure black turkey.

In the U.S. the APA only recognizes Black turkeys. They do not recognize Spanish Black turkeys.

Blue Slate is what you are referring to as a splash slate. If it was a chicken it would be a splash. It is a turkey and is a Blue Slate.

There is no such thing as a Black Slate. Black turkeys produced from mating Blue Slate turkeys together are just Black turkeys. They do not have a slate color gene (D).

Blue Slates are BB Dd. When bred together they produce Blue Slates (BB Dd), Self Blues aka Lavenders (BB DD) and Blacks (BB dd).

Spanish Blacks were Black turkeys that were raised in Spain. Nowadays in Europe they refer to any Black turkey as a Spanish Black whether or not it is a fully black turkey. It can also be a Barred Black which is not the same a s a pure black turkey.

In the U.S. the APA only recognizes Black turkeys. They do not recognize Spanish Black turkeys.

Blue Slate is what you are referring to as a splash slate. If it was a chicken it would be a splash. It is a turkey and is a Blue Slate.
Oh sorry, i think i really misworded things. I understand black slates aren’t a real variety, but i meant in in the sense of a black turkey bred from slates, and was wondering if instead that’s what I got, given the poult has a very good deal of gray leakage in its feathers.

Oh sorry, i think i really misworded things. I understand black slates aren’t a real variety, but i meant in in the sense of a black turkey bred from slates, and was wondering if instead that’s what I got, given the poult has a very good deal of gray leakage in its feathers.
The gray leakage may be due to the gray gene (cg) which has nothing to do with the slate gene (D). I don't know about McMurrays but Cackle does claim to sell Black Slates and Spanish Blacks. Based on the pictures on Cackle's site, what they are selling as Spanish Blacks are not pure black turkeys.

The gray gene (cg) is a recessive gene that can show some effects even when only one gene is present.

Update- Even more gray wing feathers coming through. “Pomegranate” my not-spanish, has even more gray coming through.

89EA7C4A-2848-4C1C-9626-A3CAE2BDEF46.jpeg

There’s a size able difference in color between it and a slate though, seen above. Pomegranate is the duller black one to the right. There’s a slate in the middle, attempting to run away, and a normal black turkey to the left, what I was intending to purchase.
More gray coming through; poult has one almost-entirely gray wing feather.
AA44555C-938B-4143-A688-2B6E50A5C3E4.jpeg
7F0392CC-262A-43F5-B16F-4B538B134E00.jpeg
271E6FB7-3411-4E52-91F2-F4F450AD5C6B.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom