My special baby! Update with Pics!!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lovin my birds, Aug 9, 2011.

1. lovin my birds

lovin my birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    I had OEGB hatch this week. Yay! [​IMG] Anyway I had 6 eggs under my hen and all 6 hatched then I had 2 that hatched last week from another first time hen. But one of the babies that hatched this week is tiny tiny tiny! She was the smallest egg and of course the smallest baby. After she was born her toes took forever to uncurl and she was very weak. So I brought her inside she is doing okay alot better than yesterday. Yesterday she wouldnt eat or drink by herself. She really couldnt she could hardly stand or hold her head up. But I wasnt to worried she was only 3 days old yesterday and I know she still had her yolk sack to feed off of. Well today she is drinking by herself but not eating. I am hoping she will eat tomorrow. Here is my dilema, I hatch these guys to sell as pairs of trios and sometimes quads. Depending on how lucky I am with how many hens versus roosters. But now I dont wanna sell this one because of how special she is turning out to be to me. She thinks I am her mamma she comes to me, she peeps for me when I leave her, she sleeps right next to my bed in her little basket, (a basket with a heating pad wrapped in a blanket with another towel on top of that one so she doesnt get burned works great if you dont want to have a heat lamp. I also put bags of heated up beans in there with her that stay warm pretty much all night.) So idk what to do, I cant really keep her to breed but I would want her with my bantams. AHHHH! Its a good thing I have a while to figure this out. I keep them till they are 6 months anyway to make sure people get what they want. And I like to take care of the babies so I know that they get the proper feed and caring. Just thought I would share my story of my special chicks with you all since my parents dont really understand what I am going through. They like my chickens but its different to me. I know you guys on here will understand where I am coming from. So any opinions would be appreciated, the ultimate question should I keep her or shouldnt I. [​IMG]

P.S. She is show quality stock and will be able to breed. Her toes have fully straighened out and she is developing beautifully, just a little slower than the others.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  2. Wolftalk

Wolftalk Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2011
    The Coop :)
    thats to sweet! i think that if you keep her then you might have a best friend for life!!!! i have a 4 day old chick that loves me too! sometimes chickens make the best BFFs!!!!

can you post pics????

3. lovin my birds

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    I will take pics tomorrow with my good camera. I just have some on my phone. She loves my American Eskimo Dog (Aurora) but she doesnt really know what to think of the chick yet. She keeps giving her baths lol! Which doesnt help keep her warm. [​IMG] It was so cute though, I was upstairs and my chick was downstairs while I was getting a drink and it started peeping and Aurora went running downstair then came running back up whinning. Lol! At least I know I have an alarm dog for when my chick starts peeping.

They do make the best friends. Its amazing how they can be so small and see that you are so big but still think you are its mamma. And they have unconditional love for you. What breed is your little chick?

4. Wolftalk

Aug 1, 2011
    he is part sebright bantam and part feather foot breed. he looks like a little penguin, hence his name Penuin! hes in my pic
    <- thats him [​IMG]
    what did you name your little baby? and yes chickens are really special creatures with big hearts! (well most of them!)
    id love to see pics!

5. Wolftalk

Aug 1, 2011
    just wondering...did you end up keping her?????

6. lovin my birds

Mar 15, 2011
    Odessa, MO
    I havent sold any yet. I wait till they are 6 months old to sell them. But I think I am kepping her/him. I dont know what it is. Truthfully I am hoping that it is a rooster. Since I dont need any more hens. Lol! But i did get some good pics of him today. Here he is finally!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Here he is next to a mouse for size reference. Though I have to say that it seems like he had a little growth spurt overnight. Lol!

[​IMG]
    And here is where he sleeps all day! Lol!

The second pic makes me think roo just because of the stance. Lol! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  7. GardenState38

GardenState38 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    [​IMG]

How could you ever part with that sweet creature??
    Adorable!!

8. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Quote:What a teeny tiny bundle of cute! I think you should definitely keep that little cutie and see how he/she develops. If it's a show quality bird, it's size might be a temporary drawback from hatching out a too small egg, not a genetic defect. I'd wait until it's about 6 months old before deciding that it's stunted.

And as for it being bonded to you, I have heard of roosters that were *ahem* inappropriately inclined towards humans when raised like your little one. But enough time with hens re-directs their attention usually.

9. Wolftalk

Aug 1, 2011
    oh my gosh!!!!! sooooo cute!!!! what did you name him?

10. misty skye

misty skye Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2011
    Aww I have a place in my heart already for him. Hes soo adorable. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by