my special grit/calcium recipe for our chickens!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Codyandme1, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Codyandme1

Codyandme1 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    I have created a special grit recipe for chickens, hope you like it(as well as your chickens) [​IMG]
    first put your used egg shells in the oven on a low heat for half an hour or so, then when you take them out crush small enough so that the chicken can no longer recognize it as her egg(to prevent egg eating).then with a cutle fish bone, use the back of a spoon and scrape it along the bone creating a white powder. then add all this to some crushed up oyster shell. and WALLA.
    if you want you can and some egg and biscuit mix purchased at your local feed merchant! [​IMG]

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Sounds good. I need to add some extras to their feed. Thanks for sharing. [​IMG]

3. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    [​IMG] that is a great treat.
    saves money on buying the sack stuff.

4. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    The only thing about putting the egg shells in the oven is that it stinks up the whole house. Was that your experience, too?

5. Codyandme1

May 24, 2011
    yeah that happened to me to! [​IMG] i found with that is to wash the shells and rub them with your thumbs just to make sure all the egg is gone then cook them! [​IMG] works better!
    im surprised you guys actually tried it! [​IMG] I have cooking at my school so i manage to get extra free eggshells so i can make even more!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2011
  6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    my special grit/calcium recipe

Eggshell and cuttlebone are both sources of calcium.

Neither of them is "grit"

Grit is granite and small pebbles​

7. Codyandme1

May 24, 2011
    True, tecnically granite and small pebbles are classified as grit, but grit for birds is kind'a different.They eat grit to help with their digestion,Birds eat sand to help with their digestion, that is what grit is suposed to do. So would you argue that sand is not grit?'cause they eat that to help with their digestion aswell as small pebbles. [​IMG]

8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    So would you argue that sand is not grit?

Sand can be "grit" but there's no sand in your "recipe"

I have created a special grit recipe

You listed egg shell, cuttle bone and oyster shell, and maybe egg and "biscuit mix".

Chickens that free range usually don't need extra grit anyway, and you do have a good calcium mix​

9. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

good recipe for calcium for sure.... I had wondered about cuttle bone. I used to raise parakeets that stuff is really easy to crumble. I betcha if you just put it in a heavy duty baggie and whacked it a few times with a pot or a hammer or even a mortar and pestle. For all of it.

10. Codyandme1

May 24, 2011
    Quote:Sand can be "grit" but there's no sand in your "recipe"

I have created a special grit recipe

You listed egg shell, cuttle bone and oyster shell, and maybe egg and "biscuit mix".

Chickens that free range usually don't need extra grit anyway, and you do have a good calcium mix​

True, but i was just stating there alot more sources of grit than just granite and small pebbles, thats a good idea perchie.girl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by