My Special Show Secret...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Poulets De Cajun, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Everyone has their own special secrets when preparing a bird for a show. I'd like to hear tips and tricks that others use. I've heard about oil on the wattles and combs to plucking that one off color feather.

Whats your special tip or trick?

2. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

I know there is a certain hairspray that people use alot but Ican't remember the name of it, maybe someone will know. It makes them really shiny.

3. LittleChickenRacingTeam

LittleChickenRacingTeam On vacation

Jan 11, 2007
    Ontario, CANADA
    On a breed such as a sebright, sometimes the lacing will be missing the colour on a tail feather. You can't just pluck it, since the tail will not look right.

A black magic marker can fill in the defect. Can mean the difference between first & second place. Not that I would ever do that of course. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Quote:That is funny! And bad!!

-Kim

5. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    You know the feathers that stick up on top of the head on each side of the comb? Well I cut those just a little so the head looks nice and rounded and so the bird doesnt have wild feather head!

ETA: you can see in the picture to the left Jack has had a "hair cut" before I took the picture

Last edited: Jul 14, 2008
  6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I learned one from my friend...she lost first place only because she had stubs she didn't pluck on the feet/legs.

7. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    A little Vet RX on the vent, it makes the birds stand a bit more perky with their tail fanned out more. )only certain breeds where you want them to do this of course. )

Plucking feathers is common, and I have seen others trim or pluck around the comb as well.

Show Sheen works well on normal feathered birds that you want shined up, like black birds. Pink Oil I have seen used on Cochins, and Silkies.

8. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:What does the Vet RX do? It doesn't cause them pain to make them do this does it. I instantly thought of the soring issue in Tennessee Walkers....

9. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    I believe it does feel a bit warm, but thats about it. Kinda like Vicks, not IN it by the way, just a TINY bit on the edge.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by