My "special" silkie isn't loved by his friends.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Must Be Losing It, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    I have a silkie chick (about 8 weeks old) that was knocked around a bit by one of the older chicks and he had been having seizures, spinning circles, etc. I'd separated him for a while and he is doing a 100 times better and slowly incorporated him back into my small flock. Yesterday everyone seemed great, today, not so good. Sunny (that's his name) still has an occasional problem w/ circles but for the most part he's a functioning chicken. Is they're any remedy to keep the others from picking on him short of isolation? There is not an aggresive bone in his body.

He is back in isolation right now but he's just not happy.

2. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Can you put someone in there with him? He might like company...

3. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Hi [​IMG]....I don't have any advice for you except that I agree he might do alright with another chick in there with him.

I just wanted to say hello because I see that you are from Uxbridge!! I'm not far from you--I'm in North Grafton [​IMG].

4. KellyGwen

KellyGwen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    Lake Luzerne, NY
    I'd give him a buddy until they get a little older and he has a little more time to build up his strength...

(By the way.. I grew up in Princeton Mass!!)

5. rebeccakeesee

rebeccakeesee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    They may continue to pick on him knowing that something is wrong. I would be careful with him till he can hold his own. If he can. [​IMG] Poor little baby.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  6. Must Be Losing It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    Thanks everyone! And Hello to goldnchocolate and to the former Princeton resident KellyGwen.

I'll try a younger chick w/ him. Maybe one of my one month old silkies will work, one of the sweeter one.

I have a feeling he'll always be picked on though. Poor little guy.

7. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    We're the only species that indulges weakness. If animals sense it, they're programmed to destroy it and keep the pack/herd/flock strong.

8. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    Poor Silkie [​IMG] I hope it gets better today.

9. jakmallex

jakmallex Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    NC
    He'll probably be fine living alone. I have a silkie that has an issue with feathers growing into her eyes (getting better now that she is losing all the baby fluff), but the others used to peck her eyes. She has lived alone since she was 3 days old and she's fine. I put her back with the others for awhile, but then one eye started to have issues again so she's alone now. I just give her a little more attention than the others and hold her more, but she seems very well adjusted.

10. Must Be Losing It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    Well, he's had one day of peace today, tomorrow's another day. Poor guy!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by