My speckled sussex rooster named Mack...Warning! Pic heavy!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Buster, May 3, 2008.

1. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I posted this in justino's rooster contest thread, but I just had to show him off some more in my own thread. Once again, pardon the mess- the bottle for screws and all the wood around- I have been building a run onto my coop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. debbyluvschickens

debbyluvschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    eastern arkansas
    they are so beautiful. This is my first time seeing a speckled sussex. Thanks, now I am going to have to get me some.

3. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    AS with most English breeds, I absolutely adore them. those are so nice and large. Congrats on such great birds.

4. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Ah yes... English breeds! Is that why I can't quit obsessing about your blue orps bamachicken? [​IMG] [​IMG] I can't wait for my eggs!

5. Half-a-dozen

Half-a-dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    Hey there Buster.....Do you happen to have a pic of him when he was around 7-8weeks old????
    Got myself two and still trying to determine boy/girl...
    Thanks [​IMG]

6. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Unfortunately I don't have pics of him when he was that young because I got him when he was 11 months old. Sorry. If you can, please post pics of yours so I can determine when my first ones come along! [​IMG]

7. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Beaufitful boy. I have 4-5 roos running around here. Only one is show-worthy, though. Your bird is handsome; but he's got far too much white on him to be a showbird. There should be two parallel lines of speckles on the wing, too.

But, if you're like me, it makes no difference and I love my birds. I just got really emberassed with my sussex last year thinking "more speckles the better" and the judge set me straight. [​IMG]

8. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:Thanks greyfields. I know that he has too much white on him, but he was about the best of the 11 month old birds I had to choose from. I picked him because he was huge and nice looking. I am hoping to work on breeding more white out of him and making them more true to form. A couple of my hens have closer to the colors I am looking for. I have just hatchery birds right now, but I plan on making them better with time and I also am looking for some other lines to improve with.

Regardless of that, I think they are just beautiful! The rooster has somewhat of an attitude but I didn't get him as a chick. The hens are among our favorites- they are pretty and have great personalities.

9. Half-a-dozen

Half-a-dozen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2007
    NJ
    Buster here are my Speckled sussex..... the one with the larger comb and waddles is suppose to be a she [​IMG]
    But if you look at it's sibling.... the comb and waddles are barley there at the same age..... what do you think???[​IMG]
    These pics are at 6 weeks and 7 weeks old.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I would think that the chick that has the bigger comb and wattles is a rooster, but I may not be the best person to ask. Greyfields would probably know better than me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by