My Speckled Sussex Rooster

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mr.hutch23, Sep 24, 2011.

1. mr.hutch23

mr.hutch23 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 30, 2010
    SO we got a dozen hens in the Spring, one of the Sussex turned out to be a rooster. Unfortunately, our bird dog got into the yard unsupervised and we lost five. We want to get more and while my original plan was to replenish with new chicks from the hatchery every 2-3 years, I'm thinking I'd rather hatch a few chicks every year and keep a self-replenishing flock. To that end I was going to order a dozen Speckled Sussex hens from Meyer and breed them with this roo. I'm not interested in showing, but would like to have a decent backyard flock of Sussex for eggs/meat and maybe to sell a few chicks every year.

I think this guy is pretty good looking, but I really don't know thing one about what he's supposed to look like. Here he is at 22 weeks;
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for your comments/suggestions!

2. Gresh

Gresh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    If you're talking about Meyer Hatchery in Ohio, I would encourage you to go for it. Meyer's stock is hatchery stock, so probably won't be as large as breeder stock, but I've seen pictures of their Speckled Sussex's and they are gorgeous. Also, the Meyer staff is very friendly and helpful.
    Don't know exactly what a Speckled Sussex is supposed to idealistically look like, but your roo is very handsome!
    Hope all goes well with your project!

3. Gresh

Gresh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    North Carolina
    Forgot to ask, where did you get your roo?

4. mr.hutch23

Oct 30, 2010
    Meyer's, and yes they were very helpful!

5. mr.hutch23

Oct 30, 2010
    What could I cross this guy with to achieve "hybrid vigor?" Australorps, New Hampshires, Barred Rocks, Delawares, others?

6. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    I think delawares are about the ultimate dual purpose breed and would be great to cross with.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by