My Speckled Sussex :(

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by lauranickerson, Dec 5, 2013.

1. lauranickerson

lauranickerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2013
    Kingsley, MI
    I just have to rant somewhere because no one around me seems to understand.

I just rescued 2 Khaki Campbell female ducks and a gorgeous 9mo. old Speckled Sussex rooster from my Aunt's neighbor who's coop burned down. I've had them since Monday night. I was keeping them in the garage until I could really check them over. The teenage girl who had them took them to poultry shows, so I figured they were pretty healthy.

She kept them at another neighbor's house who also had chickens until I came to take them. I believe while they were there, the rooster got severely infested with lice. I mean...I've never seen it so bad. I almost didn't bother to check because he looked so healthy and shiny. But once I took one swipe of the feathers down in-between his legs, it was like his skin was moving! There had to be at least 20-25 lice per sq. inch! Well, I filled a reusable shopping bag with DE and poultry dust and shook him like shake-n-bake...with his head sticking out. I haven't been able to find a louse since.

Anyways. So the ducks are already with the flock because they checked out fine. But the rooster I was keeping in the garage until I can dust one more time in about a week. I felt bad having him be in the small fence in the garage while I was home on my days off, so I took him out back (opposite side of the house where the coop is so he wouldn't join the flock and possibly infect them all) so he could play. I did the same thing today. I found him digging in the barren rose garden just before I left for town for a couple hours. I got home about an hour before dark, and he was no where to be found. :(

A lot of the snow melted last night in a weird rain we had, so I couldn't track him by his prints. He wasn't in his new favorite spot under the porch stairs, either...or under the stored boat on the side of the house. I looked around for him until almost dark, then gave up, figuring if he is even alive out there, that he wouldn't leave his roost to come to me.

It is really cold and windy out tonight. Supposed to get down to 15 degrees or something tonight. I just hope he wandered a bit and decided to roost for the night somewhere that I'm just not looking. He really is the sweetest CHICKEN, not just rooster, I've ever met. I can tell that girl spent a lot of time with him. I really pray an animal didn't carry him off. :( And I hope he doesn't freeze out there if he is out there alone.

I feel like a really terrible chicken mom. I should have put him in the garage before I went to town. :(

This may be silly, but I will say a prayer for him before bed, which is where I'm going once this is posted.

What has everyone else done when their chicken disappeared? I love on 16 acres of dense red pine/swail/forest/lake. There are so many places to look, and being Speckled, he would just blend in anyways.

I've only had him 4 days and I'm heartbroken. It just aches to know he may be out there alone, scared and freezing. [​IMG]

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Hi there,
    It's difficult when you sort of lose one..........hopefully a chilly night roosting somewhere will see him returning home today. Fingers crossed for ya! What a great idea about the plastic bag 'bake 'n shake' - brilliant!
    I hope he returns today, Sue

3. lauranickerson

Apr 17, 2013
    Kingsley, MI
    We heard him crowing this morning and found him!! But the bad news is that he got pretty cold over night, and got some frostbite on his comb, wattles, and earlobes. :( I'll post some pictures here, and also in the injuries forum, because I'm sure other people have dealt with this before.

And I saw the shake-n-bake deal on a youtube video. I don't remember the name of it, but I, too, thought it was brilliant! I wish I could have thought of it. Haha.

Thank you for your prayers!

4. lauranickerson

Apr 17, 2013
    Kingsley, MI
    This was him the night I got him. I don't think he will go back to looking quite that pretty. :(
    [​IMG]

His eye was fused shut. I tried to pry it open with my fingers, but didn't force it. It came part way undone, but then opened the rest of the way when I was feeding him some yogurt.
    [​IMG]

I can't quite tell if that's all blood or deadness...
    [​IMG]

My poor baby. :( He's such a sweetheart...
    [​IMG]

5. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Glad you found him! Hopefully he learned his lesson and won't stay out overnight again! [​IMG] Sue

6. lauranickerson

Apr 17, 2013
    Kingsley, MI
    I'm hoping so!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by