My Splash Orpington Breeding Pen

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MissPrissy, Nov 10, 2008.

1. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The are photos of my Orpingtons I hatched from various eggs from Cyn, Julie, Chris and a couple of folks not from BYC.

The splash cockeral in this pen if from Chris's eggs. I am not too pleased with his comb but of the 3 splash cockerals i had to choose from he was the better choice for now. I do have a few other splashes growing out and maybe in the future I will swap him out for a specimen with a better comb. However, until recently, he was the lowest roo in the pecking order from all the cockerals I hatched. I have noticed over the years the subservient roos don't develop a comb and wattles the same way the dominant cockerals do. I think I will see some big physical changes in him over the next few months as his male hormones rise and he understands he is the lead roo in this pen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This splash girl in the middle is from Cyn's Suede and Velvet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The 2 dark hens - easily mistaken by some folks as black but really very dark blue is from Julie's stock. One is from an egg fertilized by her mottled roo, Bama.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The blue girls in this pen have been laying sporadically for just over a week now. I am very pleased with this pen of pullets.

2. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I really like the color of that splash cockerel. He reminds me so much of my Geronimo. Come to think of it, Geronimo's comb is not as big as I'd like it.
    The lacing on that blue is too cool. I have a really dark blue in the brooder right now with some neat lacing.

Thanks for sharing your pics!

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    They are all gorgeous MissP!!! [​IMG] The splashing on your cockerel is outstanding! [​IMG]

4. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Thank you! I do love his splashing.

5. BamaChicken

BamaChicken Orpingtons Bama Style

Nov 14, 2007
    Those two twin Blue pullets are some good size girls. Very pretty flock of pullets

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Oh, MissP, if that splash pullet from Velvet had hatched in my bator, she would have been a HE, LOL! I miss my funny Velvet so much. Hope she grows out to be a beautiful typey girl like her mama. [​IMG]

7. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    2 more photos down is her too. I love her look. She is filling out very nicely, Cyn. I am glad to have her.

8. speckledhen

I see her! She's a beauty. Velvet and Suede did turn out some nice ones. My Delilah is huge! Thank you for posting these.

9. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    When she gets a little bigger I am going to move her in with Mosby. They should make some wonderful chicks.

10. speckledhen

Please keep me updated on her progress. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by