My squashes are dead

Those are the offspring of a vine borer beetle, which cut a slit and lay their eggs in the stem of the plant early on...about the time you plant it if you are planting started vines or about the time it gets true leaves if you are planting by seed.

You can place wood ashes in the hole and around the stem/stalk.

You can cut a straw and place it down into the soil and around your stem to protect the stalk.

Same with aluminum foil.

Just leave them in place until the plant outgrows them and the stalk becomes too tough to slit open and lay eggs.

When you get new squash plants, just protect that stalk when you replant and you should do fine. You might also want to plant nasturtiums around your squash plants as the squash bugs are attracted to the nasturtiums and will leave your squash alone.

Last edited:
Look up squash bugs and the squash vine borer Beekissed talked about. They are two totally different pests and both can be killers. Both are pretty tough but the treatment or prevention for the two are different. You need to be sure which one it is to know what to do.

I recently had one of my squash die overnite. I dug it up and found squash borers were the cause. I am also battling the mighty squash bugs again this year, could either of these have been the cause of you squashs demise?
skin care for anti aging

Back
Top Bottom