1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Standard OEGs are not taking well to confinement

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ddroland, Nov 15, 2010.

1. ddroland

ddroland Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Eastern PA
    I have several OEGs raised from chicks (bought from Cackle Hatchery) and they are now 5 months old so I started to separate the males. The problem is they do not seem to be doing well being in the pen. They are extremely frantic when I open up the door for feed, and there overall temperament is not what I expected from these birds. They are skittish as heck, not even starting to get the confident demeanor of the breed. On top of that they are not eating well and look overall pretty poor, pail, tails held low. I have checked them for parasites and they are clean, as well as the rest of my flock. When I let them out of the pen to roam the coop floor they seem to brighten up, acting more normal, displaying around the hens and such, and even think about crowing. I know they are young yet and this breed takes quite long to mature but has anyone else had this issue? I try to handle them everyday and feed some treats to try and calm them down, and they have now been in the pens for over three weeks.

2. BittyBanty

BittyBanty Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Albuquerque
    I have a trio of OEGB and I can tell you they also don't do well with confinement. They whine, I swear it is a whine. And they pace continually. It doesn't matter how large a space they have either. They just want OUT! [​IMG]

3. ddroland

ddroland Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Eastern PA
    ttt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by