My star RIR might be sick.

GordM

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 4, 2012
This afternoon I noticed my star hen was standing in the corner and not moving around. I walked over to give her a gentle nudge and she let me (which is not common).

As I was collecting eggs throughout the day, I thought one of the girls broke her egg as I got a bit of yolk on my fingers. I went back out to clean up the broken egg and there was nothing more than a little clear yolk in the nesting box. (I have no idea who is responsible for this)

About an hour later I walked out again to check up and my star chicken had moved across the coop, but was still just standing there. I picked her up and brought her into the house.

After reading everything I could find online, the only thing I thought possible for the symptoms was egg bound.

The symptoms are she is quiet, she seems to be blinking alot and almost sleepy, eats very little, drinks little. I did notice a little dampness on the feathers beneath her vent. She seemed to be trying to lay, but with no luck. I carefully opened her vent slightly and all seems fine.

I gave her a bath in warm water, she didn't even try to escape (normal would have). I have not seen any droppings since bringing her in the house and saw nothing unusual in the coop.

I have her in a warm room with plenty of food and water. Not sure what to do next.

I had the door open for awhile and she did walk down the hall, but mostly she just stands there.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Gord

Forgot to mention that the egg can be hard to find at first, but once you know where to look for it, you should be able to find it quite easily. I usually end up sticking my entire finger "in".

I just tried another bath and she rolled over and almost went under. She is now laying on a towel with her legs sticking out to the side. I was not able to feel an egg. Her breathing seems fine.

I have no way to get calcium tonight.

I just tried another bath and she rolled over and almost went under. She is now laying on a towel with her legs sticking out to the side. I was not able to feel an egg. Her breathing seems fine.

I have no way to get calcium tonight.
Can she stand? Does she keep her eyes open? Make sure you get her dried off and keep her warm. They are *usually* pretty close to dying when they can't/won't stand.

I don't have that fine of a scale, but her size is normal and about the same weight just by lifting her. She is now laying down as if she ready to sleep. I just gave her some water with a straw and she took it.

And she was up and walking around a bit. I can lift her on her legs, but then she lies down again.

She died moments ago.

RIP Mono Lisa.

Thank you for your advice.

Back
Top Bottom