My Stinky Goober Squad

Discussion in 'Quail' started by navasima, Nov 2, 2011.

1. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    So... I got my 3 new girls today. Fawn, Tibetan, white very cute! Everyone is getting along - no problem! I put all of them in their newly cleaned bigger home and put a little wooden box in there just for fun. Y'know, something to amuse tiny bird brains for a moment or two. [​IMG] Well! They went bonkers!! They piled in 5/6 at a time and started dust bathing like mad! The thing is...I had put pine shavings in the little box. [​IMG] I'm going to get these kids some sand tomorrow...poor dears!

Could it be that lack of bathing opportunity is why my covy is a bit "ripe"? ...or do Cots just have a smell to them...? It's nothing horrific, just noticable.....

As always - thanks in advance!

2. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    They can tend to stink. [​IMG]

Coturnix can have a little odor to them at times. I keep mine in the house and if I don't clean the cage every day, I notice them. Like you, it's not bad, but it's there. [​IMG]

It's a blast watching them all pile in the "tub" !!

3. navasima

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Cool. As long as all is WNL. I'm good. Thanks!

4. chrishel

chrishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    The Windy City
    I agree. If I skip a day or forget to cover the garbage can, I'll notice it. I close my bird room door at night (so I can sleep through the crowing) and sometimes in the morning, I'll open the door and get hit with the smell.

And cots have two types of poop. The dry light colored ones that are like normal bird poop and the dark sticky ones that smell horrible. Ugh.

5. The Critter Place

The Critter Place Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2011
    Tucson, Az.
    Quote:I don't feel so bad now.

A few days ago, we cleaned all 3 brooders, and it was all so nice and fresh in the room with the new pine shavings...
    The next day I go in and there's odor....[​IMG]

We forgot to take the trash out of the room! [​IMG]

6. navasima

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    [​IMG]

7. Stellar

Stellar The Quail Lady

Feb 6, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:I don't feel so bad now.

A few days ago, we cleaned all 3 brooders, and it was all so nice and fresh in the room with the new pine shavings...
    The next day I go in and there's odor....[​IMG]

We forgot to take the trash out of the room! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. navasima

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    So...I got out a small, blue plastic litter box, threw in some sand and a bit of DE and sat down to watch the show. One girl jumped in immediately. The rest of my MENSA chapter stood in a circle around the box. Now, I'm just learning "quail", but I'm pretty sure the conversation went like this:

OMG - she jumped into that giant scary thing!
    I'm not doin' it!
    Let's just watch and see what happens.
    Hey - you guys - do you see this!?
    I'll just poke my head in.....eek!

After a full minute or so, two others joined the first girl and went to town having a bath. Several others tried to poke the side of the box to gain entry.

Eventually, everyone took turns and seemed rather pleased with themselves. [​IMG] Please understand, these are the same bunch who hang out in the enclosed part of the coop during the warm part of the day and come out to the wire when it's coldest at night.

I may paint my coop to look like a schoolbus....a very short schoolbus........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by