My strongest chicken died?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ameer894, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Ameer894

Ameer894 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2013
    Hello everybody
    Yesterday evening I left my flock and went to sleep! This morning I go to check them and OPPAAA >> My largest chicken(so young that she didn't started laying eggs even) is dead.
    I can't believe, she was until yesterday in a perfect condition.

What do you think is the reason? Please I want to avoid such loses

1) Do you think it may be a snake attack?
    2) We have problem at our backyard that the water of the kitchen's sink (with soap and you know kitchen cleaning materials) deviates from its course and drops on the ground- Because of that grass grew there- and my chickens ate from that grass
    If so, why it was just she who died? She was super healthy :(

Please tell me the likely reasons ...
    Thank you

2. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Well, sudden death is one of those things that tends to remain a mystery --- unless you do a post mortem/necropsy, or send her into a lab to have one done. Otherwise I'd guess we'd just go with the 'kitchen chemicals' idea, which seems about the likeliest thing, alongside snake or spider attack; all are possibilities. Sometimes the necropsy reveals nothing.

Just because she was the biggest doesn't mean she was the strongest; in fact, excessively large animals whose relatives are smaller often have health problems, and the sheer extra size is a fault, a symptom. None of my biggest animals have been the strongest, fittest, smartest, most productive in any way, nor the most fertile or most robustly hardy. Another thing is that when an animal looks in perfect health, that is still no guarantee. She could have been harboring a deadly problem for her whole life, for all we know. When an extra large/unusually large animal dies suddenly it's not infrequently related to its abnormal size... I.e. heart failure. Still, maybe she wasn't any kind of giant compared to her siblings, maybe it's just me thinking that because the 'biggest' hens and roosters I'm used to come to mind when thinking about yours. (Mine were easily twice the size of their siblings).

I'm sorry, it's not an easy diagnosis. Best wishes.

1 person likes this.
  3. Ameer894

Oct 26, 2013
    I can understand that ...
    I remember when once I've tried to catch her she was much stronger than my young rooster.
    I can say it's not snake or spider because the coop won't let that happen (it's well closed and no insects are found in there)
    If you chick my threads I had a condition with my little (most tiny) baby chicken who drawn! I could reach him at last moment and then he was on the ground with no movement! But now he is running outside because he could recover just after offering him some heat(see the story)

So it's so wear to figure out how a weak creature could afford to live matching him to her

Heart stroke or chemicals? I think it's not the second cause my other chickens still alive!!

Thank you :)

4. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    Chooks4Life is right.

Sometimes they just die, and we never do know why unless we take them for a post-mortem exam, which can be expensive (depending on where you live and how helpful your State Vet's office is in such matters.)

That being said, I don't know that "grey water" (the stuff that drains out of a sink) would be particularly deadly to chickens, or cause the grass that grows there to be terrible for them. People can and do use grey water for all sorts of agricultural purposes. So I don't think that should be a huge concern, unless there were chemicals like bleach, or harsh cleaning solutions in there too.

Sorry for your loss...

5. Ameer894

Oct 26, 2013
    Yes I think you are right !!
    The most interesting thing that the chicken didn't has a period where she was tired or something before she died!
    She was like a horse and suddenly she died

Thank you I hope no other chicken will pass the same condition

6. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    Quote: A baby is a remarkably resilient creature. They make some of the most incredible death-defying recoveries of all.

Quote:
    This bring to mind a certain disorder of various species which is deliberately selected for with some commercial breeds. It's an inherited thing which causes extra muscle size, known generally as the myostatin mutation.

It afflicts everything from some humans to mice to cattle to dogs... Basically, theoretically, it could afflict every species that has muscles. In extreme expression, it is fatal in and of itself, but milder expressions are not fatal.

Among the many fatal issues it can cause, heart failure is one. Often these animals are extra strong, but some are so bound by their extra muscles they don't benefit in any way. You can see examples of the myostatin mutation at work in Belgian Blue cattle, and the multiple lethal or severely crippling accompanying defects of those genes are severe and hamper or even negate the commercial value of the breed, as the calves in purebred herds often need delivering via C-section, and a percentage are always dead or unable to live long past birth.

This is just a long shot though as for guessing what killed your chook. It's not the most likely issue.

Although you haven't seen any insects in the coop, it's always possible a poisoned/sprayed bug made its way there before she ate it. This commonly kills chickens in areas where insects are poisoned.

Also, I don't know if this one applies to you, but at some times of the year we have snakes go racing through our yard. They don't stay, they travel through very fast. Mostly they're coastal taipans (one of the most venomous land snakes) that go racing and jumping* through our yard.

The babies are about 10cm long and just like the adults, they will charge at anything they see that moves, and chase it, trying to bite it. Incredibly hyper-aggressive. They move very fast and hunt anything that moves regardless of its size, not to eat it, just to bite it.

(*Snakes can actually jump, it's a fallacy that they can't. I've got a lifetime's experience with hundreds of snakes of many species and have seen baby snakes and large adult snakes, pythons and venomous snakes alike, jump, many times. As in, clear the ground with their whole body, whether jumping up from the ground, or down or outwards from an elevated object. They can leap forwards and leap up in the air to switch head with tail from a completely outstretched starting position. No coiling required. This is not the same as lunging to bite).

Also, not too likely. What chemicals were you using in the sink? Are they biodegradeable or maybe something harsher? Even biodegradeable ones can kill, obviously, as animals are not usually able to cope with eating detergent. Also, one chicken in the whole flock is always guaranteed to die from something none of the others will. Some chickens are just silly about what they eat. Where the others decide not to touch something, that chicken will eat it.

Anyway, best wishes with unraveling this mystery, or at least not having it happen again anytime too soon!

7. Ameer894

Oct 26, 2013
    Thank you valuable infoemation dude :) Best wishes

8. chooks4life

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    You are very welcome. I hope your experiences whether positive or negative are all beneficial in the end result. What's worse than losing a chicken to a premature death? Never finding out what happened!

Best wishes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by