my stupid chickens are eating my eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Lordofchickens 86, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Lordofchickens 86

Lordofchickens 86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    The Burg FL
    i fed them at 6:00 this morning some table scrap veges.then their pellets about nine so i know their not hungry,even let them out to forage still they ate their egg for the second time. they did it yesterday to. so i gave them more feed i thinking watch them find out which hens are doing it and put them in the pot or maybe just leave them outside the coop.

2. Phenomenon

Phenomenon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2011
    North Yorkshire
    Do they have access to unlimited pellets? If not, they're hungry. You may also find that one or two may not be getting their fair share. The pecking order can often leave a hen or two feeling quite hungry.

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Chillin' With My Peeps

You can stop this with golf balls, fake eggs or even fill eggs with mustard to discourage their thought process of eggs as food.

4. MommyMagpie

MommyMagpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Salem/Jarvisville, WV
    I'm not an expert by any means but I have read that you want them to eat the feed first because it has all the necessary nutrition for healthy chickens and eggs....our hens have a feed tray that we keep filled so they can eat free choice, and they get scraps only 3-4 times a week.

5. PegramPoultryProprietor

PegramPoultryProprietor Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    What kind of hens are they? I don’t have any problems with any of my breeds EXCEPT my production Leghorns. I was loosing eggs like crazy and thought something was wrong with my hens. I figured out a couple of the hens just like eggs. I would find them hanging out on the nest box waiting for another to drop. Now I have a couple less hens and twice as many eggs. I decided last year that production Leghorns are just stupid and their ignorance must be accommodated for. If they didn’t lay so many nice extra large chess pie and omelet eggs I’d cut off all their heads

6. lollimama

lollimama Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2011
    I had an egg eater until about a month ago. That was our first culling experience:( She was a real stinker.....I feel your pain...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by