My STUPID cousin!!!

birdlover

Songster
13 Years
Jan 11, 2007
Northern Va.
I gave my small flock to my cousin last summer - 4 hens and a roo. The cuckoo maran went broody and he called me yesterday to tell me that one chick hatched the night before. He calls and says "I have a chick in my hand. What do I do?" grrrr Nothing like waiting until PAST the last minute. Okay, so I called this a.m. to get an update on the other eggs. He said she's sitting on about 7 and no more have hatched. Come to find out, he kept putting eggs under her over a period of days!!
duc.gif
So who knows what's going to happen. I also had to give him LOTS of instructions on how to care for the chick (he was feeding it oatmeal and cornmeal) although he did know enough to give it heat. I told him, in the future, to collect the eggs and put them under her all at once so they hatch all at once. He says, "I did! Soon as a hen layed an egg, I put it under her. The hens don't lay all at once." "Noooo. Not what I mean. Collect the eggs and bring them in the house until you have the number you want to set." Then he says he doesn't want them to get cold in the refrigerator! Noooo. You put them in an egg carton, pointed end down and keep them in a cool room." ARRGH! We're talking about a 48 year old man here; NOT a kid!!!
th.gif
The only hope for the one chick is he is absolutely enthralled by it and, half the time we were on the phone, he was talking baby talk to the chick. LOL Sorry this is so long. Just had to vent! I mean, he could of asked me ahead of time and done it right but he has some ancient chicken book that said to do what he did!! Okay. I'm done!!!
If anymore hatch I'll let you know because they are my grandchickies.

Well, thankfully at least he knew to give it heat. But asking what to do at the last minute was probably not a good thing. Hopefully the rest will hatch for him and he will know what to do. Congrats on your grandbaby!!!!
smile.png

Cute, but yet scary at the same time, Would be funny to hear a 48yr old man talking baby talk to a chickie. Hope all works out for him !! Good luck to you also !!

I think a newby to chickens is like a newly hatched chick. You have to dunk their beak into a good book or BYC to get them to start learning.
roll.png

Well, let's put it this way. You can lead a person to BYC but you can't make them learn! I've given him the website countless times!!
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom