my stupid dogs killed my muscovy!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Mom 2em All, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I hate them so much right now- I have no idea how she got out- it was the one baby that I knew was a girl, and she used to sit under my seat...and I wish I could turn back the clock just an hour and come home and prevent this from happening.

Im so sad. [​IMG]

2. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so sorry this has happened [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Unfortunately we can't turn back the clock, if only we could right!? However your going to have to figure out how to make your ducks' area more secure - so the dog(s) can't get to them again. I might suggest getting a training shock collar for dog(s) to break them of even wanting to have anything to do with the ducks. I have broken my crazy dog from chasing my ducks and chickens (she's not aggressive to anything bigger than a squirrel - just loves to chase and scare the devil out of smaller animals) but I didn't have to use a shock collar surprisingly. I just got after her constantly for even paying attention to the chickens when they were near - and then reprimanding her with time out and staying for a few minutes if she did chase them, and then bringing her around the chickens and ducks and rewarding her for staying in a down while the chickens were around her - also letting her see the coops and inside and smell it and check it out - she quickly got over her want to chasing - she gets rewards for just watching them and gets in all kinds of trouble if she even attempts to chase them. - but many dogs who are actually aggressive to prey animals - yeah your going to need a shock collar or just uber protection or it will happen again if the dog(s) get the opportunity. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Good luck, again i'm so sorry and you have my condolences of your loss. [​IMG] take care.

3. Mom 2em All

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Im so sad!
    I got rid of my two killer dogs- the ones that would actively seek them and kill them and wouldnt listen. These two dogs, my pit and my Golden, are out with the ducks when we are out there and they dont even look at them! They are trained very well- however, and its an awful thing- I dont know how to stop this- if something gets out, they kill it. I dont even know if they meant to do it. No blood on this duckling. No slobber.
    They dont break in- I have it fenced off with a wrought-iron fence then a splitrail covered in mesh wire- and an electric fence surrounding it all. Somehow the duckling got out and in the yard with the dogs.
    But I DO blame the dogs, because they know better- and make no attempt to look at, go after, etc whenever we are out there.

So many "If only"s...if only I had insisted my daughters leave the mall at 8:30...if only their friend hadnt left her phone in my van and made me turn around to bring it back to her...if only my husband would have come home when he said he was going to if only if only if only..

[​IMG]

4. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    I'm sorry this happened to your duck.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I know you're feeling bad, but honestly, dogs are predators. They may be controllable while you're there, but seeing something like a prey animal (a duck) is often too much of a temptation. The best you can do is make sure that your pens are secure and that your dogs aren't tempted.

Good luck, and again, my sympathies.

5. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    You can't blame the dogs, the duck got out into THE DOG area. That's called free game. The only one to blame is you for not making the duck area more secure. They are not 'killer' dogs, they are just dogs doing what dogs do. You've trained them to behave when you are THERE, when you're not there, they should be secured too. Sorry it happened, but this one's NOT the dogs fault.

6. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Didn't this happen before once too? Or maybe I am thinking of someone else. You clearly need to keep the dogs seperate fro mthe birds. No other choice.

7. Mom 2em All

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    When you lose an animal like a chicken or a duck- the general population doesnt really understand why you are so upset- after all, its just a duck, its just a chicken, so you (meaning us, the ones who have them as pets/companionship) migrate here, where we are among friends who understand our grief. Where we can cry and make statements that may not be politically correct, but our group knows we hurt, and that speaking rational may not be our first thoughts or what we are conveying at that moment.

Of course my dogs are predators. I know this. They also KNOW that I am upset with them- though they no longer know why I am upset.
    Wolfwoman, of course the only one to blame is ME. I don't need help putting the guilt or the blame on myself. My dogs are secured when I am not here- obviously not enough. However, I am at a loss on how my little girl got out of two-actually three- barriers. And the two dogs that I found homes for, prey drive surpassed obedience- and even in my presence, basic commands were ignored. So they were rehomed.

Debi,
    yes- this happened with chickens. Not ducks. and Not these two dogs. The two I rehomed. The weiner dog. She was the one who could find the smallest gap to squeeze into, she was driven by her desire to get in the pens/the brooders/cages/bedroom with kittens. The beagle- who would dig under any fence to get in- or at least let the weiner dog get in. I couldnt handle any more losses, and accidents were going to occur- too many people/kids in my home, and she only needed a tiny gap to fit through. I knew that I had to either keep her forever, and never have another small animal be it hamster, chick, kitten ever again- or find her another home. Because the birds and kittens bring me such pleasure and peace- an escape from my work day stress and the pain from personal issues, I chose to find her a home.

Again, I know dogs are dogs, etc etc, I know they need to be kept seperate (thought I had done that), I know that I am the only one to blame, that her life is over because of me, etc etc. I posted out of grief- because we are a group that understands- or should- that it hurts to lose something like a duckling. I look forward to Saturday and Sunday all week long, because those are the two days I have that I can sit outside all day long and be with my ducks and chickens. They are what I spend every evening with, after work, until the sun goes down. I posted because in order to get a handle on the hurt, sometimes it helps to share with others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by