1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

my stupid got Dottie killed.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by The Kibble Goddess, Aug 30, 2010.

1. The Kibble Goddess

The Kibble Goddess Songster

May 24, 2009
    Sylvania, Ga
    Went out this afternoon & gave the ladies their treat as usual. Forgot to block off the gap at the run door. Dottie, my Wyandotte, squoze out and got killed. There's not a mark on her, but her neck is broken. I think one of the dogs killed her. I feel so bad. She was only 7 weeks old and very innocent. My carelessness got her killed. Lost 3 to coons, one to the dog and have only 2 left. I'm a newbie and I'm learning a lot about chickens, but this is a hard way to learn.

2. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Songster

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Quote:Goddess - Don't beat yourself up. Chicks are very fast or at least all of mine have been. I know you are sad. but even though it hurts you learn each time something happens either good or bad. I am hoping nothing else bad happens to your chicks.

[​IMG] to you.

3. swimmer

swimmer Songster

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    Sorry to hear that. Don't give up.

4. swimmer

swimmer Songster

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    Sorry to hear that. Don't give up.

5. calicokat

calicokat Songster

Apr 2, 2009
    azalia, indiana
    I'm so sorry about your sweet Dottie.

Don't beat yourself up, we've all had those things occur. Fix the gap so it won't happen again and the rest will be safer. Of course, it's also a good excuse to get some more chicks [​IMG]

6. The Kibble Goddess

The Kibble Goddess Songster

May 24, 2009
    Sylvania, Ga
    Thanks all. It was so sad to take Polish (not a very original name for a Polish!) and Sister (Speckled Sussex) out to the run today. Dottie was the lead hen and they're kind of lost without her.

Am going to get new chicks, but am wondering if, with Fall /Winter coming on, I should wait till Spring? It doesn't get too cold here till December, 60 by day, 40 by night, but it is humid and damp which seems colder. If the brooder wasn't so messy, I'd keep it in the kitchen. Don't know how well the chicks would do though with 3 dogs and a cat staring at them!

7. carrlr

carrlr Songster

Mar 31, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    IMO, if you were to get more right now, they would be fine by the time cold weather sets in. Sorry for your loss. It's a humbling experience we've all had. Don't give up.

8. GAchick

GAchick Songster

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    Quote:Hello, neighbor! I'm in Pembroke... I lost my three beautiful silkie chicks to a neighbor's dog this year, plus a couple of Barred rock hens. I know how you feel. My sympathies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: