My stupidddddd chickens!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RickiHupp, Dec 12, 2008.

1. RickiHupp

RickiHupp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Newark, Ohio
    My EE hen has just started laying her pretty green eggs. I have only gotten 2 so far so I thought she was just slow for the winter. WELLLLLL this morning I went out to get the eggs and found green egg shells everywhere!!! Those brats are eating my green eggs!!! Thats the only one they eat. There were a total of 12 eggs in the nesting boxes and the only one that was touched was the green one!! I tried looking at the hens to see of I could see some yolk around the beak but with 25 hens running around it was hard to see. [​IMG]

Anyone have any solutions to stop them from eating this egg??? [​IMG]

2. bluey

bluey thootp veteran

Apr 10, 2008
    Washington, PA
    I think a lot of folks are going to tell you, the stewpot.... [​IMG]

Just guessing here....

3. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Roll-out nest boxes, or a curtain over the opening so it's dark inside and they can't see. Those are the best two suggestions I've seen for stopping egg eaters. What a frustrating problem. I hope you figure this out!

4. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Are you providing crushed oyster shells for calcium?

Do they have other stuff to pick at and munch during the day?

Taking care of those two things might help. If not, the suggestions already provided might be considered. Good luck!

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  5. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    Either build a rollout nest or eat them.

6. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Give 'em something green and healthy - leafy greens, cabbage, etc. They may just be really missing having some greens this time of year.

I also liked the idea someone had of blowing out a green egg, filling it with mustard or something yucky to chickens, and letting them peck that open. You could just fill one with plaster of paris and let them learn that pecking green eggs hurts their beaks.

7. RickiHupp

Sep 24, 2008
    Newark, Ohio
    Do you think they will still jump into the box if I have something hanging over it? I will do that today [​IMG]

Heck yea I would eat her in a second if I find out whick one it is LOL!!

Do you think if I put some different colored plastic easter eggs in there she might give up actually tryin to find the real one??

Thanks for all your suggestions, I will try everything [​IMG]

8. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't think other colored eggs will work if they are just trying to tell you they want some greens in their diet. [​IMG] That's the only reason I can think of that they would target the green eggs specifically.

HEY MOM, HOW "BOUT A HEAD OF CABBAGE OVER HERE???? [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  9. RickiHupp

Sep 24, 2008
    Newark, Ohio
    Ohhh I didnt think about needing greens, they do get all of our left overs but I am not sure how much greens they actually get!! I do crush up all the eggs we eat and mix the shells in with thier food. They dont eat the actual shell though, its just cracked open enough to get the yolk and they leave the empty shell in the box??!! I saved it, I will snap a pic of the leftover egg!!

10. RickiHupp

Sep 24, 2008
    Newark, Ohio
    Here is the egg that was "Murdered" [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Side View

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by