My STUPIDITY may have killed a chick! HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by NYRIR, Jul 24, 2010.

1. NYRIR

NYRIR Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Ok...here's the story.Two days ago we had a HUGE downpour and I didn't get home in time to bring the chicks into the coop.I was hoping (as we rushed through the muddy back roads and almost killed ourselves) that the 6 week old chicks would go UNDER the coop with the older birds...they didn't [​IMG] I noticed later that one was acting really sleepy...like...too sleepy. So, I brought it in..put it in the brooder with heat lamp on and thought it would perk up.It didn't. So today I went to TSC and got some Bounce Back and put that in a syringe (mixed) and fed it about 2 cc's. It will eat some and drink some on it's own but not a lot. After it eats...it falls asleep...that's all it does.The stools are blackish and a bit watery at times. All the others seem fine and are in the coop at night and free-range during the day. I am worried about this chick and am at a loss as to what to do. It was fine until I left it out in the rain! [​IMG] Does anyone have any ideas? What can I do? Going to the vet is not an option as I was fired for signing a union card...(another long story for a different site [​IMG] ) and money is tight. I did buy some corid and have it on hand because of everything I've read on here. I tried some boiled egg...it won't eat it, but he is eating some unmedicated chick feed.Any help or suggestions are appreciated!

2. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    Sulmet and Tetracycline in the water simultaneously and keep feeding medicated feed. I will cross my finger.. Keep it inside...You may be dealing with a respiratory.. that is why the tetracycline. Keep it warm and keep the soft feed... oatmeal... DO NOT USE VITAMINS if you are treating for Cocci.

3. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    Ok....here's what I have ...Duramycin..Tried that for a day...didn't think it was working. Thought maybe the Bounce Back would be better...so far...nothing.So I was thinking of trying the corid tomorrow but now I'm afraid I'm doing more harm [​IMG] Should I try the Duramycin again? Can I mix it with any of the other meds? Should I try the bounce back WITH the Duramycin at the same time? Should I treat for Cocci at the same time??Although as I said , the chick was acting normal until it got soaked, so I don't think it has Cocci. Thanks for responding so quickly...I did think to watch it for respiratory signs but it just seems really sleepy...no discharge or gurgling.

Edit: I put the duramycin in the water again.( didn't realize that that IS Tetracycline [​IMG] ) I am going to try the Bounce Back and that for the next couple of days.If anyone has any suggestions please do give them! I am soooo worried about this chick [​IMG] I will try the oatmeal and continue to offer the unmedicated chick starter. Any ideas how long it should take for it to feel better if this is helping?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2010
  4. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Okay...I would recommend that you stop bouncing around from antibiotic to bounce back to antibiotic and do not start the Corid. The stool is black..not bloody.

If it is eating medicated chick starter, let it, keep it inside and warm and stop giving it anything else for a day or so...watch the chick for signs of improvement or decline.

Do not give antibiotics when you have no idea what is really wrong...if this was caused from being out in the rain and it is respiratory, the signs will show themselves if you stop masking them with medication.

good luck with the little one and remember that after a round of antibiotics you need to give them probiotics to give their gut the good bacteria back.

5. NYRIR

May 13, 2010
    Petersburg,NY
    You're right about the bouncing around....guess I just got nervous...and was feeling so guilty I felt I had to do something so I panicked and did too much [​IMG] ! I have learned one thing though...NEVER rely on the chicks to figure things out for themselves and ALWAYS provide adequate rain cover that they know how to find!
    As for waiting to see if he declines or improves? Guess I don't have much choice but it's gonna kill me [​IMG] ...I'm worried too that he will get lonely by himself.Right now he sleeps almost all the time.
    Thanks for bringing me back down to earth though [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by