My success story on how I got my hens to lay.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Farrelly, Sep 14, 2011.

1. Farrelly

Farrelly New Egg

Sep 14, 2011
    Hi, This is my first post, so please try to be nice.

Before, I was getting 1 maybe 2 eggs a day. This is from 13 hens!! Then, after searching this site for various solutions, I read somewhere that they might not be getting enough light. This was the answer!! [​IMG] Chickens need 14-15 hours of light ( I think ) and when the light goes in through their eyes, it reaches a gland in the back of their neck. This spurs their egg production.

About 4 days later, 3 eggs appeared in their nest. This gradually wen't up to 6. We then noticed 5 eggs outside. We decided to trim the nettles down and we discovered 2 more nests with a combined 25 eggs!!

Now we are up to 11 eggs a day and we just bought 4 lohman hens [​IMG]

So really, Make sure their is sufficent light out with the chickens and always check outside for eggs!! [​IMG]

Forgot to mention, on the light note, If you put a news paper level with the chickens eye level and you can read it then you have enough light but if you can't read it then there is insufficient light.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  2. TexasToucan

TexasToucan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    Good advice, and welcome from another New Egg.

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    [​IMG] Hello and welcome to BYC! I'm so happy to hear you found a solution to your decreased egg production. There are many of us who are new at raising chickens. I'm not sure what breeds you have or what your current sunlight is. We are just heading into winter and egg production will surly decrease due to lack of light.

4. TexasToucan

TexasToucan Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    Here in South Central Texas, egg production starts going up this time of year. The girls really struggle through the summer heat. Starting today, the highs are expected to be below 100 degrees (probably only 99). Sigh...... Some days I miss living in Alaska.

5. geekgurl

geekgurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    Congrats on the increase in eggs! And.... [​IMG]

6. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    Wow, that's great advice, especially about making sure they aren't in a super shaded area where they aren't getting any natural direct sunlight. Here in Georgia, sunlight and heat are plentiful, but I will keep the 14-15 hour thing in mind for the winter!

7. Farrelly

Farrelly New Egg

Sep 14, 2011
    Quote:We have 8 sussex, 2 silkies, 2 australorpe and now 4 Lohmann 1-2 weeks from laying.

8. Farrelly

Farrelly New Egg

Sep 14, 2011
    Quote:Ours were in a shed with very little light, thats why. Also, I forgot to put it in, if u put newspaper to chickens eye level and u can read it, then there's enough light. If you can't read it, there's not enough.

9. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Am I learning? What's a nettle?

10. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    Something are not adding up. The lack of light is a winter condition. You said your flock was in a shed with very little light. Do you mean that they do not get to leave the closed-in shed? Why not install a window? It would save you electrical $$.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by