My Sultan chicks has Straddle Leg!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by briarpatchfarms, Jan 28, 2009.

1. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    My newly hatched Sultan chick got straddle leg last night and cant stand up very good is there anything i can do?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  2. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    I have a chicken book and they show using a bandaid to wrap around the legs to keep them together.

I don't know if it works real well, have not hatched my own chicks yet.

Good luck!

Maybe more will see this and give you more info and help.

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

Here is a quick outline of the idea.....
    [​IMG]

4. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Good illustration, chickenzoo!!

brairpatch, you should also get some liquid infant vitamins and add them to your chicks water for a few days. Do that while you have the chick in band-aids and it will really improve fast. DHUnicorn told me that when I had a chick with spraddle leg.

I have started giving all my chicks a little vitamins after they hatch and have avoided spraddle leg since.

5. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    I've had a few chics with that, this is what I did. This site has really good intstructions.
    http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html
    Make sure their flooring is something that has grip. I've used shelf liners with paper towels underneath.
    Give them a small area (shoebox,etc) while on the band aid treatment. Roll up some towels & put along the inside.
    Make sure you put rocks or marbles in their water to prevent accidental drowning. (I'm a worry wart,lol)
    It'll take a few days, but it does work. It's hard to watch them struggle at first,but they do get the hang of it.
    Make sure they are eating & drinking.You may want to but a couple of drops of Poly-vi-sol. (baby vitamins)
    Good luck, please let us know how the little one is doing .

Miriam

6. briarpatchfarms

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    well i did have something in there to prvent that but last night our electric went out.... still out and we had to take them with us to my mamaws and i put them in a box and fell asleep when i woke up he had straddle leg.

7. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    Some outgrow it by themselves if they have a good footing. I'm afraid none that i've tried to help more than that have made it [​IMG] One drowned, and a couple of others just died. I had one that was still making it but spraddle-legged at 8-10 weeks old, and thankfully a predator took him. He had a really hard time getting around but I didn't have the heart to put him down.

8. briarpatchfarms

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    Thanks you guys he is better dont need nothing cant tell him apart from the other no badades no nothing just missing leg feathers LOL!

9. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    [​IMG] great news!!!

10. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:[​IMG] Go chickie!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by