my sunflowerenvy coop is almost finish

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sunflowerenvy, Jul 10, 2010.

1. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  2. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    Your windows and ventilation should be fine. And if it were me, I think I would put the nest boxes on the outside, to the left of the human door. That way I could get eggs without having to enter the coop. I love it! I bet your flock does too! Great job.

3. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    Very nice sized coop and nice looking.

As far as ventilation, it depends on which direction those two windows are facing and where you're located. Initially, my thought is you need more ventilation. I would be leaving those two windows open.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Does your coop have a ridge cap type ventilation??? If so, then I think with that size coop, you'll do fine with ventilation if you keep your flock that size. I'm talking about winter ventilation, because obviously you have plenty in the summer (although a cross breeze is always nice if you could add a window in a different wall). But if there isn't ventilation in the ceiling area, then I would consider adding some up high, as you probably won't want those windows open in winter time...at least not where the roost is. I love their pop door entryway! [​IMG]

5. sunflowerenvy

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    ~*Sweet Cheeks*~ :

Very nice sized coop and nice looking.

As far as ventilation, it depends on which direction those two windows are facing and where you're located. Initially, my thought is you need more ventilation. I would be leaving those two windows open.

the windows n door are face west but there are big oak trees all around are property they get sunshine about 730 pm in one window and it set at 800pm now. i am in southern west tenn. about 15minutes from miss n ala
    we are leaving a windows open 4 inch at dark until we put up the hardwire cloth but during the day at7am they are full open to dark. they are going out at 8am in the pen. the pen is shaded all day long with filter sun.
    thank you for your feedback​

6. sunflowerenvy

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    Quote:in the middle off the roof there is a ridge cap 12ft long and under the eave there are vent too. would you add a window on each side too [that was my think too].
    yes they are roosting right above the right window.
    maybe down the road we might add 5 more chickens in spring depend on how eggs we get in a week .I would be happy to get 20 eggs a week.
    thank u about pop door:bow
    thanks 4 your feedback too

7. Gold Griffin Chicken Mom

Gold Griffin Chicken Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Suffolk, Virginia
    If it doesn't already have screen wire, consider adding screen wire on the insides to discourage mosquitoes and other pests from snacking on your feather babies all night. Your vents may have come with hardware cloth, but a layer of screen on the inside would still be helpful.

I have to retrofit my ancient "Biddy Box" with screen over all the hardware cloth. I have a feeling that your new construction will be much easier to add to. You may actually have square corners! I am still toying with the idea of doing the same thing: buy a shed and make it a coop. Cost is the only true barrier for us. [​IMG]

Would you be opposed to having two nest boxes: one inside and one outside? See which one is more "popular" and go from there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by