my surprise by the smell...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by courtshep, Jul 25, 2008.

1. courtshep

courtshep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    West Virginia
    I fed my chicks yogurt with starter feed in it yesterday morning. In the evening when I came to put them to bed, it smelled so bad!! Their poops smelled like bad, bad, spoiled milk. Is this normal? Whew!!

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Chicken poop stinks with or without the yogurt. I have never noticed a difference when I feed yogurt.

3. courtshep

courtshep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    West Virginia
    That makes me wonder...it is so strange. They are acting fine. Maybe it was the brand of yogurt (Dannon Plain) and mix of feed (Dumor). I must say, they did enjoy eating it!! Is there anything you do in the coop to off-set the smell of the poop? I know Martha Stewart planted roses around her coop;)

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    My coop doesn't stink.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Keep it dry is the main thing. I can go in my coop and take a deep breath and unless its first thing in the a.m. after a night of heavy pooping, I cant smell anything. A neighbor was in my coop last week and commented that it didnt smell bad. He was very surprised. I use a small rake and remove the worst big clumps of poop off the top every day, then rake it around and sprinkle some food grade Diatomaceous Earth under the roost area to dry things out. Works great. I also never see any difference after I feed yogurt.

6. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    When my chicks were very little, their poop smelled like chick feed. It looked a lot light chick feed too. Now it smells like chicken poo. I guess they are just doing a better job processing their food. Maybe you fed them yogurt just as they were reaching the stage where they poop more and it smells more.

7. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    I sprinkle SweetPDZ in the coop and run, then cover it with a fresh layer of straw, in 2 weeks I sprinkle PDZ and add another layer of straw. Every 4 months remove all straw and start over. I use DE too, but in smaller areas like the nest box.
    My coop doesn't smell bad or have very many flies [​IMG]
    ~Rebecca

8. Hixnstix

Hixnstix Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2008
    N E, PA
    What is Sweet PDZ????

9. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    I use the PDZ and a manure rake (like a giant kitty litter scooper) to sift poop and feathers out.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

PDZ is a stall dry product, natural zeolite granules. It does help with odor. I've used it on occasion.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by