1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Suspect Roo's Opinions Please

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MrsRevDr, May 19, 2011.

1. MrsRevDr

MrsRevDr Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    These are who I suspect are Roo's out of my chicks, also when I posted once befpre someone said they didn't think these we're Rhode Island Reds which is what the seller claimed they were. Any opinions welcome.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MrsRevDr

May 10, 2011
    #1 is a black sex link

3. Jchantecler

Jchantecler Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Quote:I don't know what that is, but if it is a black sex-link, it's female. Also, the others look like Rhode Island Reds to me.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    #s 1 and 2 look like pullets. #3 looks like a roo. 2 RIR and a BSL maybe???? I'm no expert though.....

5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

You don't say what age the chicks are, but they look about 8 weeks to me.

I would say #1 is a cockerel - not sure on the black sexlink thingie or not.

#2 might be a pullet but could be a late maturing cockerel - not a RIR

#3 is a cockerel and not a RIR

6. peacemaker

peacemaker Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    Can't help with the breed but I can help with the sex. Tie a magnet to a piece of thread( I would make it at least 8 inches) , hold the chicken in your hand on it's back. Hold the magnet over the chicken between it's legs. The magnet will start to move. If it makes circles, it's a pullet. If it swings back and forth like a pendulum, it's a roo. Don't laugh. 100% accurate 100% of the time. Learned from an old farmer.

7. Soaring Chicks

Soaring Chicks Soaring Hawks Farm

Jan 3, 2010
    Henderson,NC
    What color is the legs on the blk chick?
    they look green to me. Also does it have a single comb or is that a pea comb?
    #2 pullet #3 roo

8. MrsRevDr

May 10, 2011
    his legs are grayish/black, no idea about his comb his neck is sooo long I assumed he was a roo they are 6/7 weeks, the farm where I bought them claimed they we're BSL and Rhode Island Reds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by