MY SWEET HEN!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by theharvey3, Oct 24, 2008.

1. theharvey3

theharvey3 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2008
    Texas
    I just had to share this with people that I knew would appreciate it. I have a three month EE hen and just yesterday added a younger (6 weeks or so) Barred Rock hen (well, we hope it's a hen!) in her run and coop with her. Since the temp is supposed to get pretty cool tonight I wanted to bring the little one in for the night. When I went into the coop to get her, they had already settled down for the night, I couldn't find the little one, but I heard chirping. So I got a flashlight and found my little BR under my EE's wing!!!! She was keeping her new friend warm! When I picked up the BR she was nice and warm, the EE was doing a great job! I didn't like taking her out, but I want to be safe with the cool weather.

I am new to keeping chickens, so I'm not sure if this is common or not...but it is OH SO SWEET!!! [​IMG]

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Heard of a few hens that do this, sounds so sweet !!!! Next time you should leave her in there !!!!

3. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    It sounds like you've got a great future mama there! [​IMG]

4. theharvey3

theharvey3 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2008
    Texas
    It's supposed to be in the 40's tonight, is it not too cold to leave her in there? What if my EE decided not to keep her warm all night? Thanks!!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2008
  5. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Most of the time that doesn't happen but I had a similar thing happen. We have a BO named Audrey and when we first got our chicks they were a week old, and we had them in the hen house temporarily while we made the brooder - they were in a rabbit cage. Audrey, the sweetheart, sat on top of the cage cooing and clucking the whole time.

Since then we have integrated the chicks who are now 9 weeks old with the older ones, and it's Audrey who follows them, herds them, plays with them. She is just the sweetest bird!

6. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I had a few BO pullets do that to my guinea chicks when I first added them to the barn. My future broodies [​IMG]

7. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    You are right, that is a very sweet hen, a sweet story and we do appreciate your sharing. I can just picture that.

Anne

8. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    my moms bantam barred rocks to in my EE mix. She follows them everywhere. My moms b/f's chickens pick on the group but they learned to stay away from them.

9. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    That is such a sweet story. I had a rooster that would do that for his favorite hen. [​IMG]

10. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Once I had a hen that I would buy babies for, as her eggs were not fertile. One of the times I bought one cornish chickie and BR and RIR. The mama hen would keep them tucked under her wings. Well, the cornish chickie grew so fast that within a couple weeks or so it was bigger than the mama. So it then became the mama of the other two babies, kept them under her wing, and they all stayed warm. So cute!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by