My Sweet Hubby's Idea of Landscaping

JaciesCoop

Songster
12 Years
Aug 16, 2007
Arizona
I went out the back door this morning and noticed something out of the corner of my eye. Don't know why I haven't seen it before but there over the fence is a rather large plant!! Now folks, this is a WEED!!! And it even has the sprinkler stuck next to it.
So I call Ty at the office and ask him why we have this rather large weed growing and he hasn't cut it down.
He says "That's a weed??? Hummmm! Well I think it's neat so I'm gonna let it grow and see what it does!"

With my luck this thing is gonna get as large as the house!!

Jacie

tpg.jpg

Weeds are just plants that are underappreciated....

Tell me, does your hubby often root for the underdogs in life??

If he likes that weed now, just wait until it spreads those seeds all over the rest of the yard and he'll have lots more of the same kind to look at tnext year... LOL

gig.gif

At least yours doesn't cut down your gardenia because he didn't know what it was. Mine has lost pruning privileges unless I approve.

You can always cut it down later. Definition of a 'weed' is just a plant someone doesn't like anyways. Maybe you can identify this one??

A friends taught me about edible weeds and now I look at the plants very differently. We occasionally eat purslane and cooked nettles and lamb's quarters now.

Oh I appreciate some weeds. I love clover, and dandelions but this is a "thistle"

And I can appreciate the "pruning" rules! My sweet guy once pruned all the mock orange until he killed them all but he's learning more everyday.

I just thought it was funny how we all see beauty in different things and my hubby sees beauty in this so it will stay for awhile.

It's no different than the utility pole that is out by the creek. Just a big pole. Nothing on it. But he likes it and it stays put. He does put our flag out on it on Holidays.

When someone ask about it, I just say "ask Ty, it's his pole and he loves it!"

Oh, that is so funny and all to familiar. My hubby has appreciation of all life, including the pretty weeds.

One of my funniest stories is of him rescuing a corn plant out of the dumpster about 12 yrs ago or so. It's the ugliest plant I've ever seen. He loves it and named it Corneilus. It's planted in a 5 gallon bucket. It's a site to see! Maybe I'll replant it for him in a prettier pot, so it won't be such an eye soar.

The same thing in the yard. In mid spring he loves all the weedy wildflowers, so he doesn't cut them and our yard will look shabby for a week or so.

My DH considers everything I plant a weed. I asked him the other day if he noticed my Clematis was blooming. After explaining where they were located he said Oh, those weeds growing on the fence?
barnie.gif

Smitty's Farm :

Oh, that is so funny and all to familiar. My hubby has appreciation of all life, including the pretty weeds.

One of my funniest stories is of him rescuing a corn plant out of the dumpster about 12 yrs ago or so. It's the ugliest plant I've ever seen. He loves it and named it Corneilus. It's planted in a 5 gallon bucket. It's a site to see! Maybe I'll replant it for him in a prettier pot, so it won't be such an eye soar.

The same thing in the yard. In mid spring he loves all the weedy wildflowers, so he doesn't cut them and our yard will look shabby for a week or so.

I love it!!! And aren't we glad they have such an appreciation for life!
My hubby has also surprised me with his country living. I was raised on a ranch, He was raised as a city boy. We built up here in the "wilds" of the AZ mountains so I could have chickens and he's been great about that but the funny thing is when the goose Christmas came to live with us and we got Essie to live with him, Ty has taken over the geese. They are "his geese" is what he tells everyone. And those dang geese just love him to pieces. Trouble is he's still in Phoenix 3 days a week so I'm the one that takes care of them when he's not here but the minute he drives back into the driveway they could give a flip about me. Chris even meets him at the gate honking as loud as he can! It's so cute!!!

gig.gif
My DH landscapes, and he's one of those that will cut/pull/chop...then ask questions, lol! He deals more with the landscape installing, so he's not on the "up and up" when it comes to flowering plants. He just shakes his head when he sees me planting more flowers....and yeah, he says weeds are any plant that is growing where it shouldn't...ie my father in law's bean field, that has volunteer corn popping up in it
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom