my sweet little girl. Why do they always love the "underdog"?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mommy9994, May 14, 2008.

1. mommy9994

mommy9994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    central VA
    we got our order of turkey poults today. I ordered 15, and they sent 16. One has a wonkey leg, and is just generally very weak, deffinately not going to make it. I was really hoping that the poor thing would expire before my 4yo woke up. NOPE. Maybe she wouldn't notice that one... NOPE. She went box, found that one directly and named her Nelly:rolleyes:. She brought her to me and said "look Mommy, this one's sleeping, and she has a hurt leg:(" I explained to her tht Nelly was not going to live long because she was so sick. Oh my the grieving over a poor turkey that she's known all of an hour! I finally convinced her to let her back into her box so she might eat and drink a little. She would hold her and say "she's so pretty", "I love her so so sooooo much", "oh, Mommy, she loves me". I told her that while it's sad that sometimes they die, at least she will be well loved.

And all this from the little girl who said Monday that she didn't want turkeys because "the boys have the big ugly red thing on thier face!". I told her then that she wouldn't have to hold or play with them. She said "good, cause I'm not gonna!" I guess she wasn't counting on them starting out cute and chirpy!

2. dfunnyfarm

dfunnyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    ks
    O my. They always pick the ones we know arn't going to make it but for some reason I do too. Hope it pulls threw for her. Sending prayers for the little one (2 legged and fethered one).

3. Dixiedoodle

Dixiedoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    She sounds like I was when I was little. I always picked up strays to take home and nurse. I always picked the runt or the one the mother kicked out. I drove my parents crazy--My dad was a dog breeder and I was forever falling in love with the little, hurt, sick ones...

Bless her heart for being so kind and loving. You should be proud... I hope it won't be to hard on her, when and if it passes!! Loves does more than anything else sometimes....Dixie

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Aren't children's hearts so pure?!?! The love of a child is so wonderful! [​IMG] I often marvel at how small children can be such great examples of the love and sacrifice of our Saviour. They are truly straight from heaven! [​IMG]

What a sweet story! Thanks for sharing it.

5. CathyB

CathyB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    PA
    That is so cute! I was the same way as a child. Always taking in strays and hurt animals.

I picked out my chicks yesterday and picked one out that I just knew had to be mine. She was an EE'er in with all the cute chimpmunk ones. She was all brown, smaller, and someone must have been picking on her cause she had a little spot on her beak. I picked her out of the box and said "you are so ugly that you are cute! You're comming with me!". The guy at the feed store must have thought I was wacky!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by