My sweet pup was killed yesterday ...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Chirpy, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    My husband asked if I'd shared what happened with you all. I told him no because I couldn't sit here to write about it. I spent most of the day in tears.

Oh great... I'm starting to cry again. I'll be back.

My old dog, who's been the perfect dog, is going on 12. He protects the livestock and our kids from coyotes and other predators and is a great alarm system when anyone comes around.

We know that he doesn't have a lot of years left, he's starting to slow down even now. We need a large dog (actually two) as watch dogs out here. So, last fall we rescued this sweet little German Shepherd girl from a local rescue organization.

She has been everything we wanted in a new dog. She just turned a year old a few weeks ago and already has chased off coyotes with my male. They chase them to our property line and then stop ... they are both shepherds and soo smart.

Except... she loved to "race" trucks that went by our road. We live on a private, dirt road (dead-end) that has very little traffic. Just four neighbors and us use it. She would race them staying on our side of the fence and always stop at the fence line. Always. It's a 4 strand barbless wire so they can go through ... they just don't. What we didn't know is that for the last couple of weeks she's been going through the fence on the south side of the pasture to continue racing the garbage truck. I've talked with them in the past about us not wanting her to go out of the fenced area - I wish they would have told us that she was. We can only see the north fence line, not the south, from the house and I watched her stop at the north line yesterday morning, like always.

The trash truck men said that she slipped (the road was really muddy from a huge rain we got) and went under their tires. There was nothing they could do .. I don't blame them at all. It's my fault that she went through the fence .. I should have gone outside and watched her going that direction. I appreciated them coming up to the house and telling us what happened. We couldn't see where it happened (it's over a hill) so we would have not known where she was.

My husband said she died instantly. I'm glad she wasn't in any pain.

There ... I've shared with you because I know you guys understand how much I loved her. I know she was 'just a dog' and that people lose their children and spouses and there is no comparison but ... I so loved her.

I'm editing this to add her picture ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  2. mom wewantchicks!

mom wewantchicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    buckhannon,wv
    words cannot desribe how sorry i am for you! it will be a year in august that my beloved shepard had to be put to sleep,she was 14 years old. i had had her practically my whole life. im in tears for you and in memory of my sweet hanna.

3. Solsken Farm

Solsken Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh gosh. I am so terribly sorry. [​IMG] Thank goodness she did not suffer, but I know that is no consolation. I hate losing pets more than anything in the world.[​IMG] Don't be hard on yourself. Accidents do happen. Take care, Chirpy.[​IMG]

4. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    [​IMG] I'm so sorry. I know it hurts so much. She was a beautiful girl.

5. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Sorry for your loss. She was a very pretty dog. I would suggest you rescue another. She cannot be replaced, but rescuing another would honor her memory and give your other dog companionship.

6. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    So sad....I'm so sorry.
    There is indeed a comparison - they are kids that just happen to be furry. Sounds as though she was much loved and that she was very happy.
    I hope that you find peace.
    JJ

7. asher

asher Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire

Jan 26, 2007
    Mountains of NC
    I'm so sorry! What a beautiful girl!

8. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

So sorry to hear of this, please take the time you need to "leak", this is a soul wrenching accident. But, I will tell you one thing, she was happy there, you gave her the best remainder of a life any dog could have desired, right down to racing cars.
    Hang on to the pics and the memories. She will always echo in your heart. God bless you and your family at this time.

9. warcard

warcard Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    SE Indiana
    [​IMG] [​IMG] :aww

It will get better and you will see her again in a better place.

10. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    I am so sorry for you. :aww

No dog is ever JUST a dog. You're in our thoughts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by