My sweet roo is gone :(

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CarolinaGirl, Jun 25, 2008.

1. CarolinaGirl

CarolinaGirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2008
    I'm not sure if this belongs in this forum but I wanted to talk about my sweet roo to those who also love their chickens and "get it".

This evening, I went out to do my rounds with the animals... I began slicing up a melon for my chickens and goats and noticed my little helper, Basil, the roo, hadn't greeted me nor was he on the table in the barn stealing melon. My heart sank, I knew my little buddy had to be gone [​IMG]

I found him in the edge of the yard in heap. I'm unsure about what caused his death, I do know it was an attack, I just don't know by what.

My heart is just broken. Basil was a very special rooster. He free-ranged with his 2 hens and has for quite some time. He was such an evil little thing when I had him a coop, finally one day, I let him loose after he seriously flogged me... After that, he turned into the best pet one could ask for.

He would fly into the golf cart and perch on the cupholders to go for a ride. He wouldn't fly back off until we got back into my yard. Many evenings, he'd ride on my shoulder while I fed the goats. Every morning, he'd fly out of his pen and greet me, happily scratching and throwing bits of gravel on my feet. He adored his hens and respected them more than most of my past bantam roosters... When they went broody, he was lost without them. To the point of following me to the house every day and pecking on my dining window to get my attention. I'd of course go out and hold him, talk to him and then take him back down in the yard and give him treats.

Basil lived a very good life. He was much loved and very spoiled. Just this morning, he had a quarter of a cantaloupe for breakfast and "visitation" with his latest little hatchling. He seemed to care a great deal for his chick, unlike my other roos.

Which I am very happy to have some of his descendents and hope I have at least one roo. His hen, Rosemary, has one chick and the other hen, Sage, is sitting on 6 more eggs, all looking good.

Thanks for listening to me talk about my sweet roo...

[​IMG]

2. countryboy

countryboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2007
    I'm sorry that happened. [​IMG]

3. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I'm so sorry [​IMG] RIP little roo

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

5. GoodyChickenShz

GoodyChickenShz Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2007
    The CA High Desert
    Aw, what a sweet remembrance of your beautiful roo. So sorry you lost him. Sounds like he was a very special boy.

6. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    So sorry to hear about your Basil. [​IMG] He was beautiful and sounds like he was very sweet. I am glad you have some babies from him. Hopefully you will get a roo with a great temperment just like him! Poor guy.

Shelly

7. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    I too am sorry...[​IMG]

8. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    So sorry you lost your little guy....
    Sounds like he had a wonderful life there with you......

9. Celeste

Celeste Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    Lyndon
    Very sorry for your loss!!

10. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I am so sorry for the loss of your little buddy! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by