My sweet silkie hen is not so sweet anymore......

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bloomingwild, May 11, 2011.

1. Bloomingwild

Bloomingwild New Egg

Jul 28, 2010
    Central Coast
    Hi there!

Thank you for reading my post! Ill get down to business! I have a silkie hen whos around 7-8 months and for the past 2 months has just become a loner. She used to hang with my other hens and they all seemed to get along fine. They are free range during the day in my yard and I lock them in the coop at night and they would all perch side by side at night. Now she stays in one of the nesting boxes and never comes out......ever! My daughter took her out tonight but she just ran back in after about 5 minutes. She was also puttiing her buttom in the air and spreading her wings whenever one of the other ladies would go up to her. Never seen that one before. She is small and I have some hefty hens that did give her a hard time at first but thats been awhile. And she was pecking my hand when I reached in to get her.....first time ever!! I know I keep going on and on! She has not layed a egg in about 2 months and I checked to see if that was the problem but her tummy seems to be soft and I dont think that is the issue....please tell me what your thoughts are I greatly appreciate it!! They have a healthy diet and we clean thier house on a regular basis. The other hens are laying and are happy campers Im just concerned about my silkie. Should I get another silkie to keep her company? I dont want her to be lonely! My thoughts are the more the merrier when it comes to chickens! My husband does not agree with me though! Thank you!! Kerry

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  2. mpguay

mpguay Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    she's broody!

She wants to sit on and hatch eggs. If you want to stop this behavior, read the many threads on stopping broodiness.

Or, give her 3 or more fertilized eggs to hatch.
    search on the forum for "broody" and you can read all day long.

good luck!

Last edited: May 11, 2011
  3. wingsofglory

wingsofglory Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Palmer Alaska
    Sounds like she is broody. That is what my Columbian Wyndotte did after laying for only a month. Went broody. Wouldn't come out of the nest box. I didn't know right away. Would take her out and set her on the grass and she'd go right back in the nest after I walked away.

I ordered her kind because they are known for broodieness and because I wanted a broody hen to raise chicks, but I thought she'd lay for six months or so first - no she started right in. Silkies are know for this too. I put eggs under her after a week of waiting to see if she was serious. She hatched them and took care of them for six weeks. Layed for about a month and went broody again.

Silkies are known for broodyness too. Put some fertile eggs under her!

4. N&MSchroeder

N&MSchroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2011
    SE Idaho
    Find her some eggs to hatch! [​IMG] Silkies have a tendency to go broody and it sounds like this is what is happening with your girl. The more the merrier, right? and [​IMG]

5. wingsofglory

wingsofglory Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Palmer Alaska
    Also, putting her chest on the ground and spreading her wings means she has come of age - to lay eggs and go broody. She does that for the rooster.

6. Bloomingwild

Bloomingwild New Egg

Jul 28, 2010
    Central Coast
    Oh my gosh I heard that word before but was never sure what it was!! Im on a mission now.....off to reading I go!! I LOVE your pic soooo adorable! Thank you:) Kerry

7. Bloomingwild

Bloomingwild New Egg

Jul 28, 2010
    Central Coast
    Thank you everyone for your answers!! Im feeling better about my little silkie now that I know. And yes the more the merrier! LOL:)

8. mpguay

mpguay Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
  9. CCourson05

CCourson05 Popping like kettle corn...

Jan 5, 2011
    Hickory Flat, MS
    Get that woman some eggs!!! [​IMG]

10. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA