1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My sweet story of raising wild doves.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thatduckguyy, Aug 4, 2011.

1. thatduckguyy

thatduckguyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    I really felt like sharing this. I know this site is about chickens and ducks etc. But this was something I think people would want to see/hear.
    This is the video about it experience: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn2p35v_Z8I

It
    started with my sister mowing the lawn (don't get too scared! LOL) She saw something on the ground and she came screaming telling me she found 2 birds. I have always researched birds and how to care (I am traning to become a animal rehabilitator). So I grabbed a shoebox lined it with paper towel got my desk lamp and let them rest there. Then I cut a small hole one of my old pillows and got some of thee fluff for cushioning, and some old non matching socks to get them snug. Just to stop for a second here, I took them in because hey would have died I DID look for the nest. I DID do all the research, I DID the right thing! So anyways I ran to the computer and found out they were mourning doves. So I said "crap i don't know what they eat". I heard that the mother provides milk that has some wheat in it, or something like that. So I said how about Nestle baby cereal? I took my bike went to the Walmart and bought a few boxes, stired it in a bowl with some water and warmed it up in the microwave a bit. Then i grabbed a syringe sucked some up and had to force feed them. they wouldn't eat for some reason, I got the food down there though until their crop had a nice bulge. I also gave them small amounts of spring water to keep them hydrated. They didn't sleep much but they sure did whine! I fed them constantly and trained the bigger one (Pheonix) how to fly, it took awhile and I noticed Drake still wasnt walking! I got concerned tryed to help him walk but he was just too weak.. I fed him alot more than the bigger one because he needed growth. I woke up the next morning and found him dead with his sister snugling next to him. Protecting him. It was a sad moment my sister balled her eyes out. We burried him in our backyard and tried to forget about it because we had another bird to raise. We brought Pheonix out constantly to get some fresh air she loved it she watched the other birds fly around she called out at them it was cute! She had some problems flying but alot of practice she finally was flying all over the place [​IMG] We bought her a nice cage she loved it! We started to train her how to eat bird seed and find her own water. In no time she was all grown up! It was a nice day spring was starting and i brought her outside to play then she took off! I was shocked and a bit scared! So I ran to my mom and my sister saying this, they got a bit sad but then i said " Hey she is where she belongs now we helped her grow up she could have died out there!" So we all put on a big smile. A few months later my mom was taking a walk and she came running back home waking me up. I said what mom? She said I saw pheonix!!! I was so happy to hear that she didn't die. So appearently a couple of mourning doves accepted her in the family (as you know it is rare for mourning doves to fly in 3). We knew it was her we just had that feeling. About 2 weeks later I was walking to my friends house and a bird flew and perched on my neighbours fence.. IT WAS HER! She gave me her look (she does this weird looks to us its funny) stopped for a little while and flew away. It was a great experience I feel like such a great person for taking the birds in. This is why i am hatching chicken eggs and duck eggs, to have that feeling of taking care of an animal . Hopefully one day I become a rehabilitator, it is my dream to help animals. Thanks for listening [​IMG]

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Great story:thumbsup you will make the best chicken mom!!

3. thatduckguyy

thatduckguyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    Quote:*dad

hehe, thanks alot!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by