My take on the garden coop (Lots o pics)

Ernie

Songster
12 Years
Aug 19, 2009
Seattle, WA
Today was moving day! I think I was more excited than the girls
wink.png

We have a really small city lot so I needed to make a compact coop that fit right into a corner in our yard. It ended up squeezing into the NW corner tucked in between two trees. I tilled our yard (more like dirt patch) and planted clover for the girls. So far, they love it!

Here's what the yard looked like at the beginning of September, just before I tilled it up (including their temporary housing)...

IMG_1336.jpg

Here's the clover seed...

IMG_1340.jpg

The ladies are growing impatient with my speed of construction
smile.png

IMG_1359.jpg

The clover's coming in...

IMG_1364.jpg

Larry's soaking up some late summer sun while monitoring my incredibly slow construction progress
smile.png

IMG_1486.jpg

And finally as of today, the coop is 99% done!

IMG_1829.jpg

I added an exterior nest box which isn't part of the original plans...

IMG_1808.jpg

Here's a shot from inside the run...

IMG_1821.jpg

Vinyl's in place and ready for bedding...

IMG_1823.jpg

Nest box access...

IMG_1825.jpg

Ladybird soaking up some rare November sun this afternoon prior to the big move...

IMG_1838.jpg

And finally, they're in...

IMG_1843.jpg

It took them a little while to figure out the ramp, but they're all settled in their new pad for the night. Eggs tomorrow? What's the best way to secure a nest box lid like the one I have? Right now, it's attached with hooks and eyes, but I'm wondering if there's a better method. Anybody know?

Thanks for looking and any input or suggestions for tweaks are welcome!

Paul

Looks Great. I am sure they are happy. What is the wood you used on it ? It sure is pretty.

Last edited:
Beautiful coop!

About your fastening question, I used hasps and spring loaded clips like this to secure all of the doors to my coops (two per door, top and bottom):

32217_014.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom