My Tetra Tint hen is walking strangely.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hosspak, Feb 3, 2014.

1. hosspak

hosspak Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
    I just noticed today that my TT hen is favoring her left foot. It looks like she is trying to put weight on her leg but it doesn't look as if the foot is being used. Her toes will fold under when she walks, and then she will stand on her feet as normal. She has laid her egg for today and she fought everyone for food as usual. What's going on???

2. Jakesnake2323

Jakesnake2323 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2013
    Southern New Hampshire
    Have you examined the foot? Maybe there is a small wound or laceration on the bottom. Sometimes my hens will do this, but I believe that its just because there foot is cold, I don't know if that would be a problem for you though.

Hopefully this helps, [​IMG]

Jakesnake2323

3. hosspak

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
    None that I can see. It's summer here compared to where you are. lol She doesn't seem to be in pain. (does a chicken make pain sounds like a dog?)

4. jordan8

jordan8 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2014
    England, Devon
    when a chicken comes into lay bone texture changes becoming more porous, this making it quite a lot easier for them to do minor internal damage to the toes,feet and legs. in my experience id increase the calcium intake and give her a week to sort herself out im sure she will be fine

Jordan :)

5. hosspak

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
    Thanks, they have free calcium. Her foot seems dead, it just flops around. She has stopped laying.... its sad..

6. hosspak

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
    Update, while I was out chillin with the peeps I had a chance to take a look at Thelma again. She still doesn't use that foot and today while I was holding her I was checking her wings... when I lifted the right one she would flap it and pull it away as normal. However when I did this on her left wing she would not move it or pull it away, it just sort of fell back into place then I saw it was drooping slightly.... I think I should really end this soon. But don't know if I can.

7. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Did she have a Mareks vaccine? It sounds like she may have Mareks since she is displaying some of the symptoms in the neurological form. I would try to help her live as normal a life as possible by putting her food and water near to her during the day. Here is some information about the many different symptoms of Mareks disease:
    http://extension.unh.edu/resources/files/Resource000791_Rep813.pdf
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq
    http://partnersah.vet.cornell.edu/avian-atlas/search/disease/502

8. hosspak

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
    I was told when I purchased them that they were. This and answers like them I have learned to take with a grain of salt. Just like the "It's a pullet" guarantee...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by