My The Porch Chicken Coop 10 Hens In Dekalb County

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nappybutbald, Mar 9, 2015.

1. nappybutbald

nappybutbald Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2014
    Stone Mountain
    Well I started building my illegal city well ventilated total electric chicken coop yesterday[​IMG] under a landing on my exiting porch steps. Being new to chicken keeping all I knew was I wanted 22 hens. After our last Board of Commissioner's meeting, our supposed change in the ordinance on keeping chickens within city limits was postponed. I decided to trim down my order to 15 hens. But after reading the 4' square feet per hen and my new coop is 4'X8' and 4' tall which translate to 8 hens living peacefully while inside the coop. I own 1 acre with half fenced in, my hens will free range 50' -/+ square avian covered netting feet of my backyard daily utilizing the ADOR 1 automatic chicken door (http://adorstore.com/products/ador1-automatic-chicken-door). Since the general rule of thumb is 4 square feet inside the coop per hen, just curious why do the sites that sale coops figure a 4'X8' = 32 square feet means according to the general rule is the ideal space for 8 adult standard size hens. So why is it that every site i visited that sells coops advertise 4'X8' can accommodate 15 to 20 hens[​IMG]? I do realize that the larger number (20) is meant for a smaller size hen like the silkie, so they really believe 15 standard size hens will or can live peacefully in a 4'X8' coop. Either I have the calculations all wrong or this is OK for 15 standard size hens. I have plans in my head to add another 2'X4' which will bring my total space enough for 10 standard size hens. My birds of choice are 2 Leghorns, 2 Exchequers, 2 White Plymouth Rocks, 1 Partridge Plymouth Rock, 1 Golden Laced Wyandotte and 2 Golden Buff (Red Star)[​IMG]. Way more than enough eggs to share. Soon as I'm finished with the coop it's on to getting my 550 gallon Tilapia aquaponic system up and running. All of my small vegetables will be grown in it like Chard, all types of lettuce and other types of good edibles for the family and the hens. Poole creek runs in back of my house so corn, squash and melons will be grown as well using free water [​IMG]. Next year I plan to incorporate rabbits about 6 for the poop[​IMG]. Everybody's garden needs fertilizer, chicken poop, rabbit poop and fish poop [​IMG]in the years to come can you imagine the fruit and vegetables that will come yum yum.

[​IMG]
    Above is my start 4'x8' coop under my porch
    [​IMG]
    Lazy man style constructing the roof lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Roof done have not officially attached the galvanized yet need to weather proof roof first for years of use.
    [​IMG]
    floor done need a good sealant though or linoleum cover.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Cut out for chick door and door with wire cloth window will frame out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    this side will be double doors for easy cleaning with left side having a 8" circle hole at top and 6" circle hole at bottom with hardware cloth for vent on right side 6" at top and 8" at bottom.
    [​IMG]
    This side will hold 4 nesting boxes.

I will post my progress as i finish, kids says pastel bright colors for EGGTROPOLIS ......

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  2. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    wow, that's a great way to set up a coop!

so even though it's illegal to have em, you're going to anyway? best of luck!!!! We just moved out of a city where it was illegal to keep any livestock, but a pot bellied pig bought at a pet store didn't count. I swear if some pet stores would start to sell chicks maybe that would get some people a loophole.

3. nappybutbald

Oct 23, 2014
    Stone Mountain
    Hey Chaz believe me you, i have my fingers crossed and praying i don't get caught not worried about any of my neighbors cud del sac no access from rear of property an occasional deer every now and again but no people. The only people I will be concerned for are the electric company and gas when comes time to read the meter. I am thinking of fencing the meters in the yard and have them send me a card to filled out with my readings. Not sure how long be for the have to verify like every 6 months or year to ensure honesty on my part. Oh did i mention that on Tuesday this week is supposedly be the final decision if we can have chickens or not in Dekalb County.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. Trefoil

Trefoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Good luck, I hope the decision goes your way. The reason the coop sellers advertise a small coop can hold so many chickens is for advertising. Who would pay that kind of money if they were honest and told that it would only comfortable hold 3 chickens? The more room you give them, the less chance of them fighting and the easier it is to keep clean. Looking good.

1 person likes this.
  5. ladyearth

ladyearth Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    kentucky
    also Good Luck. when I think of the South.. I think Country like farms, like CHICKENS.. too many rules, too many laws. Just leave us alone to live peacefully.....It okay to put up with YAKKY dogs, yeah, but not little old amout of sweet chickens.. course Roo Roos are a another matter....
    Just a saying
    Even city we moved from could have 3.. duh
    Dont give up

1 person likes this.
  6. PapaChaz

PapaChaz Overrun With Chickens

May 25, 2010
    NW Georgia
    Preach it sister! LOL

goodness knows I don't own a dog but step in more poo than anyone else who lives on our road, has to be that way, there ain't enough dogs around to poo in my yard as much as they do and anyone elses yard too.

And they sure don't seem to care if their dogs barking at 2am and wakes me up. At least we're in the country now, got the walls framed up on my coop today before the rain started :)

1 person likes this.
  7. tcstoehr

tcstoehr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Canby, Oregon
    If you're trying to keep hens on the sly, then the fewer the better. Hens will make noise that any nearby neighbors can clearly hear, count on it. If it's not specifically legal, I personally would try to OK it with any nearby neighbors and see if they object. Cuz... they *will* find out, if they're close enough. Chickens make loud, distinctive noises at times during the day. Sometimes they all join in. How far away are your neighbors? Hopefully, the decision goes your way. Of course, you will be letting us all know how that goes. Forum rules mandate full disclosure. [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  8. nappybutbald

Oct 23, 2014
    Stone Mountain
    Tcstoehr Chickens are so addictive it's hard to keep just one, I've been to the Doctors about this not so rare disease CHICKEN FEVER ugh I'm hopeless !!! LOL

9. nappybutbald

Oct 23, 2014
    Stone Mountain
    Trefoil OMG i almost fell into their trap and purchased one of those 4x8s that they claim can hold unto 22 chickens until one day I bumped my head and started reading all the great information available on this site.

10. roseyred

roseyred Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2014
    That is awesome! Good use of space. Can't wait to see it finished

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by