My Thor is gone...The flock is lost PIC HEAVY

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Cetawin, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Today has not been a good day around here. This morning my DD found my Splash Orpington cockerel, Thor dead inside the door of the coop. There was not a mark on him and nothing broken so it appears he had a heart attack or heat stroke. He was a big giant at over 12 lbs. and I think this heat had a lot to do with his death...so tomorrow the coop is being air conditioning because I will not lose another bird to this heat...that will be part of his legacy.

All day has been filled with crying jags, a deep sense of loss and too much silence around. The flock is very confused and my little Delaware girl, Cannonball, has done nothing but walk around the house in circles and yell for, I can only assume, Thor. She would have been roosting right next him plastered up beside him when this happened and she is very very attached to him. She screams constantly whenever she is taken away from him...me thinking she was too small for him, tried to separate them a couple of times and it just would not happen.

Thor was such a special gentle giant and as hard as it is to believe, he loved me and protected me too. I miss him terribly and am heartbroken that he is not here with me.

Rest in Peace my precious boy. Thor, Son of Suede 9/7/09 - 7/14/10

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dustbathing with the girls

[​IMG]

Moving from Oregon to Kentucky - March/April 2010

[​IMG]

Going to the Vet for his health certificate to move cross country

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  2. urban dreamer

urban dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2009
    Sherwood, AR
    OH NO! I'm so sorry. I have read many threads about you and Thor. May he rest in peace. [​IMG]

3. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I'm so sorry. He was a beauty! We get so attached. [​IMG]

4. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    this story reminds me of the scout story...

5. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    [​IMG] R.I.P Thor! Ive seen him everywhere around the forum im going to miss him he seemed great and was beautiful

6. Junior

Junior Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2010
    Alabama
    i too have read many posts about Thor and him keeping those Dellies on the straight and narrow.

i am sorry for your loss.

Junior

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

We've talked lots today about this. We both were so pleased with Thor, the way he turned out to be just the perfect rooster, attached to his mama and very protective of his girls. He will be missed. His daddy would have been so proud of him. RIP, our precious Thor.

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, NO, not Thor! I am so sorry to read of your loss. He was truly a special fellow, and a gorgeous rooster. R.I.P.

9. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    [​IMG]

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    So sorry Cetawin [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by