My Three Little CheepCheeps

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CCRabbetts, Mar 9, 2014.

1. CCRabbetts

CCRabbetts Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2014
    Ojai, California
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I have grown up wanting chickens so badly, and now that I have my own home and space it is chicken time! I live in Ojai, Ca and the local feed store luckily had babies coming on Valentines day this year so I picked out four beautiful babies. Scrambles (Easter Egger), Sunni (Speckled Sussex), Sanders (Giant Blue Cochin) and Benni (Blue Andalusian)...Unfortunately, Benni fell very ill and even with our strongest attempts (we both are vet technicians) she passed away in my fiancé's hands. However, almost one month later Scrambles, Sunni and Sanders are all doing so very well! They play with Dori (Chihuahua) and all the cats! Obi my little 11 month old white dachshund is figuring out what they are, true to his doxie nature he watches them day and night. I can't believe how much we love these little girls! They are so full of personality and they are loving all the toys and treats we give them. Every morning I wake up and put four of these shiny soft little cat toy balls in a box and by the end of the day Sanders has them all out and is sleeping on them. Scrambles is such a trouble maker! Easter Eggers I read can be docile and sweet, but she is the POLAR opposite of docile! She runs around trying to fly at any opportunity and jumps on everyone! Sunni is SUPER sweet and very curious. So since these are my first chickens we are going through the whole process of starting a flock from growing our babies, building their coop and figuring out chickens in general.

OH I almost forgot, we love these chickens so much that I convinced my fiancé to let me try my hand at incubating, ordered two white silkies and an extra Japanese mix came along, I started the incubation on 3/4/14 and I downloaded this awesome app (iHATCH for iPhones). You input your incubating information (like the day you started incubation) and the app tells you exactly what is going on inside and out and has pictures of what the egg should look like when candled, you can also input reminders like turning, checking temp or adding water. I really recommend this app for first time hatchers or parents hatching with kids it is awesome. I hope my eggs hatch!

Well I am super happy to be here! If any of you have tips or tricks to a successful happy flock and the best ideas for a cost effective but extremely safe coop let me know!

2. RebelChief

RebelChief New Egg

Mar 7, 2014
    Ahhh :) I'm going to live vicariously through you until I move from Hawaii and I can have my own :).

I have two chihuahua's. I'm excited to see how they handle the chicks.

3. AStitchofKate

AStitchofKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2014
    Awwww!!!! Look at your little bunch!!! SO FUN! I just love all the photos and your excitement!! [​IMG] Can't wait to hear about your eggies hatching!!! So fun!

4. CCRabbetts

Feb 16, 2014
    Ojai, California
    My Coop
    I took the bunch outside today! Apparently, in Ojai we have Blue Jays that will try to kill smaller birds over territory! I got so nervous but they are attached to my hip and when danger was in the air they ran under my legs and hid while I was crouching (SO CUTE!!) I took some update photos of the three, they are really coming in to their own![​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. AStitchofKate

AStitchofKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2014
    Awww! Look at those little pre teens with their feathers!! So pretty!!!

1 person likes this.
  6. CCRabbetts

Feb 16, 2014
    Ojai, California
    My Coop
    They are really starting to get little personalities!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by