My three rescue girls and advice needed

LoveMyGurls

Chirping
Oct 10, 2021
UK
Hello everyone and what a godsend this forum has been so far, so thank you for being so informative.

I had my first chicken a few months back and I was handed a chicken that had gone rigid. Her Head flopped over and she had her eyes shut. I didn't expect her to make the night but the next day she was up on her feet and she's turned into a very happy chicken that lays every single day.

I then got another one to go with her. A terrible egg layer and her eggs were coming out deformed and very odd but a good feed of garlic seems to have helped and though she does not lay every day her eggs are now looking like eggs.

What I need help with though is my third girl. She was found caught in some wire. She must have been there for quite some time as the other chickens had eaten parts of her and when she was untangled her skin came away on the wire. With some miracle and a lot of care, she is more than on the mend and turning out to have a massive character. What is concerning me though is what I assume is her crop is sat under her, right under her and is massive and filled with fluid and when you pick her up she is sick and leaks slimy liquid out of her beak. She is now showing signs that things aren't right by moving her head almost as if to clear her throat. When she walks it wobbles and is very prominent. Please, does anyone know what this is and how I can help her? It would break my heart to lose her now after she's come such a long way. She is eating loads and otherwise a very happy chicken. I wasn't worried until the head movements started...

I do hope someone can help me to save her. :)

It is likely to be one of the crop problems mentioned in the article I've linked to below. The problem is deciding which of the crop ailmments hse has.
There are some other articles on BYC dealing with crop problems if you have a search or browse through the articles section.
If her crop is filled with fluid, rather than a hard solid mass then slow crop or sour crop would seem most likely.
Have a read and then come back to this thread with any further questions you may have.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ntion-and-treatments-of-crop-disorders.67194/

It is likely to be one of the crop problems mentioned in the article I've linked to below. The problem is deciding which of the crop ailmments hse has.
There are some other articles on BYC dealing with crop problems if you have a search or browse through the articles section.
If her crop is filled with fluid, rather than a hard solid mass then slow crop or sour crop would seem most likely.
Have a read and then come back to this thread with any further questions you may have.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...ntion-and-treatments-of-crop-disorders.67194/
Thank you so much for this thread and I shall have a good read. Many thanks :)

:welcome :wee:ya:yesss: Hello and welcome to BYC, You found an Amazing Poultry Community to be a part of with many great knowledgeable members, who are more then willing to jump in and help you along your journey with any questions you may have. :)

Best of luck with your hen, hope she is better soon. :)

Thank you for the warm welcomes. What a lovely community.

Yes, I would say it's a sour crop. She was upside down for a long time caught in the wire and of course very distressed. I know it's the wrong time of day but I've helped her to be sick and boy did she bring up a load and it stinks. She's now happily pecking around and no more head shaking so far. I will empty her crop each morning for the next few days and then see where we are then for the next possible treatment if any. That link was very informative so thank you again.

I've never had chickens before (though my Mum did) but we have all fallen in love with them and watch them often throughout the day. What a difference they have made to our mental health too. I never knew a chicken could be so funny and full of character.

Back
Top Bottom