My three silkie chicks and a silkie "pullet"

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hoover67, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Hoover67

Hoover67 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Huntsville
    Hi,

I have 3 4-week old chicks. Actually my daughter has them. She also has a pullet born last spring...not sure how old she is (no eggs yet so she may be a boy). Anyway, my daughter take Blackie out of the coop with the other big girls and puts them in a makeshift chicken tractor. It is so cute to see them together. If they get a little cool they climb under her wing. They are not fully feathered. When can I leave them out with Blackie? DH has built her her own pen to share with the silkie chicks. They are so cute together. I assume that normally there would not be 4-week old chicks at this late of a date. What temp can they withstand?

Michele

2. chickensforever

chickensforever Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    I don't know the exact temperature they can handle, but i'd give them access to a heat lamp at night through the winter to be safe, especially since they're so young. If they spend a lot of time under it or away from it you can judge pretty easily whether they're too cold or not. During the day they could probably be outside for a while though if you live in a temperate area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by