My three to four week old RIRs don't seem to be eating

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jnntefend, Mar 17, 2013.

1. jnntefend

jnntefend Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2013
    East Texas
    Well, the title explains it all. They had been gobbling up their food, but the last 24 hours, with six of them in the brooder, none of the feed seems gone. The only thing that has changed in that time was that I laid down another layer of pine shavings. But that's not a real change, it's the same bedding they have been using. They seem alert and cheerful, but not eating, or really drinking much, either.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Be sure there is plenty of fresh air moving through the brooder. This is why using things like fish aquariums for brooders can be a problem, especially with pine shavings. Yes, people use pine shavings in brooders widely, but they do have some fumes to them, and need good air movement.

Maybe you could put them in something temporary like a laundry basket with some paper towels or old bath towels and see how they do.

3. jnntefend

Mar 8, 2013
    East Texas
    I already use a wire dog crate, extra large size, for them. I'm not sure that it has less ventilation than a laundry basket. But I am happy to try it. The fumes put off their appetites, then?

4. jnntefend

Mar 8, 2013
    East Texas
    As a process of elimination, I put some food in the little plate I use to give them grit and treats, and they gobbled it up like they were starving. Is there any reason why chicks would suddenly refuse their little round plastic jar-style chick feeder?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by