My 'Tiels Don't Want To Be Put Away!

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by TehLizardKing, Aug 8, 2013.

1. TehLizardKing

TehLizardKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2012
    Lincolnshire
    Recently bought two hand reared lutino cockatiels, and christened them Kawaii and Utsukushi. I love them to bits, and have almost overtaken my bearded dragon as being the loveliest pets I've ever owned [​IMG]. Anyway, I have so many birds, my parents decided they didn't want them in the house any more, and we built an aviary to house them all. I then realised I didn't have any birds that I could actually handle, and i'd always wanted a cockatiel, so of to the bird auction we went. After buying Kawaii for £50, we saw nobody wanted Utsukushi (since they both have a bit of lutino baldness I guess) and got her for £5! They are siblings, although I don't know the sex, so they are fine together.

Anywhoo, every time I leave the aviary (which I must admit isn't much at the moment) They contact call for a while, and I call back. Now am I right in thinking it should stop then? Because it doesn't. They just scream. and scream. and scream. Now we don't mind, because we cant hear it from the house, and the neighbours are too far away to care, but are the in distress? they are perfectly fine health wise, and very happy when i'm there with them, but as soon as I leave they just go mad. I know they love me, and I love them, so I don't want them to be under stress. Is there anything I can do?

thanks y'all.

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    My birds scream for me constantly when I leave the room. They have done this all their lives and have never stopped! LOL They bond with you and to them, when you leave, part of the flock is going somewhere and they think they should be going too. I have never been able to shut mine up and so I don't have any advise for you. So I would imagine they will either get over it, or continue to scream for you until they tire of it. :)

3. armywife31

armywife31 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2013
    Since you are part of the flock they believe you aren't suppose to leave. It's natural to them. What they are doing is a flock call, basically saying get back here now, safety in numbers. By responding you encourage this behavior. I know it's hard but the only way to stop it is by ignoring their call. Eventually they will learn it doesn't do anything.

4. armywife31

armywife31 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2013
    Since you are part of the flock they believe you aren't suppose to leave. It's natural to them. What they are doing is a flock call, basically saying get back here now, safety in numbers. By responding you encourage this behavior. I know it's hard but the only way to stop it is by ignoring their call. Eventually they will learn it doesn't do anything.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by