My tiny bantam cochin cockerel is doing the mating dance to me

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kelly FG, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Kelly FG

Kelly FG Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Ridge
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

he's almost 12 weeks old & he's REALLY tiny and for the past several weeks he does the sideways dance with the wings down. If I try to pet him he tries to peck me or charge at me.

I've always had only hens & I'm perpelexed by this behavior. What should I do? Is this guy going to be a fighter?

2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    He's going to be very very mean. Watch your eyes. Bad roos like the eyes.

3. Kelly FG

Jan 13, 2007
    Ridge
    wow, I had a feeling that might be the answer. He's so very small, i'm not really worried about him hurting me. I just want to know what his deal is.

4. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Quote:NOT TRUE AT ALL!!! [​IMG]

I raise bantam cochins and all of mine do that. If it were an aggressive roo, I'd deter him from doing it but, with the bantam cochins, it is just darling [​IMG] I pull at mine's tail feathers and keep him going around and around and around. He calls me over for food and crowds me again.

Just love him as he loves you [​IMG]

5. CHIC

CHIC Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2009
    Roanoke
    I have read that you should swat them and let them know who's boss. I also read to even chase them and carry them around by their feet. I don't know how much of this I would be willing to do, but I would do something to avoid him attacking you. And even if you aren't scared of him hurting you, he could quite possibly hurt someone smaller.

6. Kelly FG

Jan 13, 2007
    Ridge
    I always make sure he knows I'm boss, tonight he really tried pecking me a few times when he didn't want to be put in the coop. I held him by his feet, then gave him a little love and put him in the coop

7. Msbear

Msbear Fancy Banties

May 8, 2008
    Sharpsburg, MD.
    Quote:Good Job. I've never had any problems with mine but, if he's getting too proud of himself and nipping at you, it may be time to show him who is boss. Holding him upside down or punting him like a football works well [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by