My toddler unplugged my incubator!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ctaynton, Jan 5, 2011.

1. ctaynton

ctaynton Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2010
    Eastern Oregon
    I have 32 eggs in my incubator that are due to hatch on the 16th. Well, last night I went in to check humidity and it was unplugged! The temp was at 85 degrees and humidity was up to 70 percent! I know it could have only been that way for 2 hours at the most. Do you think they will be okay?

2. mom'sfolly

mom'sfolly Overrun With Chickens

Feb 15, 2007
    Austin area, Texas
    Probably. Ms. Hen will get off eggs and be busy for a while. It might slow your hatch, but I think it will be okay. Naughty kiddo!!!

3. teresa-78

teresa-78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Quote:Hiya, I would not worry, what I have read on here is that you should not give up, as the mummy hen would get off her batch of eggs for upto a couple of hours a day, so fingers crossed your babies will be ok [​IMG]

4. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    Good luck. Hope all works out.

5. chicken-owner-31

chicken-owner-31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    I've got my fingers crossed for you!! [​IMG]

6. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Eggs should be fine......but it could have been worse......you could have had a toddler covered in egg goo and baby chickies [​IMG]

7. chicken-owner-31

chicken-owner-31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    NV
    True. Or an elcectrocuted kiddo! [​IMG]

8. gitlost80

gitlost80 Trigger Pullet

Mar 27, 2009
    Reno/Sparks
    So far I have caught my temps at 104, and once it was down to 94 when I got up one morning.It had been that way for a couple of hours! I have candled since then and they are alive still. I put rocks in the bottom of my incubator so that if the power is off for a short amount of time, the rocks will still hold the heat for a while. I have a 20 month old so I know how you feel. Just in case,I duct taped my plug into the outlet,then staple gunned the tape to the wall.HaHa.

9. BerrytangleFarm

BerrytangleFarm British and Scandinavian Poultry

We lost power for 6 hours+ at about that time in the hatch and the temperature got much lower than that. We did have a late pipper that I believe was because of it.

10. teresa-78

teresa-78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Quote:[​IMG]

Good plan [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by