1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My tom is aggressive to my hens...

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by silkielover88, Mar 29, 2016.

1. silkielover88

silkielover88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2014
    Addison NY
    I just sold my young Jake, he was from the same clutch as the hens I have. I put my older tom in with my hens. My palm laid down for him, but he proceeded to jump and spur at her, he spent the best part of 20 minutes chasing my hens. I moved him to then coop next to them and they came to check him out threw the divider and he was still jumping and trying to spur.....what do I do!? I can't leave him in the coop he's in. It's just a make shift "it will work for now " thing.... He can see my hens and they can see him, should I wait a few days till I try it again? Or is it just going to be a ongoing thing?

2. silkielover88

Apr 21, 2014
    Addison NY
    My tom was hand raised. Only one that survived the hatch of that season....idk if that means anything or not....he's not aggressive at all to us....his best buddy is a rooster. So idk why he's acting this way to th hens...

3. silkielover88

Apr 21, 2014
    Addison NY
    Anyone have any input? Anything?

4. CocoTurkey

CocoTurkey Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2015
    Eat him.

5. smitty0730

smitty0730 New Egg

Apr 12, 2015
    My tom has started doing the same thing. He actually killed a laying hen i have. He is not aggressive towards humans just the hens from time to time. Im ready to sell him and move on.

6. silkielover88

Apr 21, 2014
    Addison NY
    We kept him in the coop next to the hens for a few days. They are now all living happy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by