My torts

Bisqit&Gravy

Songster
11 Years
Mar 14, 2008
Thought while I was at it, I'd post my torts b/c it won't take long b/c I only have two now. I did a have male but sent him to a really nice home in Southern Cali.

These are my russian tortoise. They are small torts with females getting 13" or so in shell lenth

1st is Topaz. She's 2 yrs old and and her shell is about 6-7 inchs.
Picture070.jpg

This is her enclosure that I finally got done in the spring. I just might let her hibernate outside this year instead of the attic. Her enclosure is dug down 2-3 feet below the surface and lined with chicken wire. I don't have to buy food for either one right now b/c there's plenty growing and everything is tort safe and edible:D

Picture069.jpg

Here's Stoli....they have russian vodka names..hehe. She's 3 1/2 yrs old and still hatchling size. She was very sick when I got her and took about a year to get her better. Her growth is stunted and she'll never be normal size but she's happy. She comes when called:)

Stoli31007.jpg

Here's her enclosure. She'll still hibernate in the attic so I didn't dig hers out. It's hard to find her.

Picture071.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice!!! Here's one of my turtles, a lot less fancy.

turtle.jpg

This is Squirt. He loves to be held, and you can't walk by without him splashing and making a ruckus to be picked up! He loves to be tickled, too. You scratch one side, he raises the other, vice versa, end to end.
lau.gif

big_smile.png
Nice set ups for them! I love torts. I have wanted one for a long time, but with the weather being what it is here in Ohio I thought it would be a hassle in the winter keeping them inside.
Can you explain more about them hibernating?

love-my-wolves, Like your Squirt:) Hard to tell from the pic but is he a red eared slider?

Skyesrocket, Hibernation is easy. Some people use a old fridge set at 50 degrees with the door left open a little for air flow. They put them in rubber maid boxes with holes and bedding. I just use rubber maid tubs with hay and my dark attic.

My guys are captive bred but hibernation instincts are still there. Here around September they start slowing down on eating. In Oct I bring them in and give them a good soaking in dishpans with luke warm dechlorinated water. Then I put them in their box and set them in a cool room for about a week or so. I have thermometers in my attic and when it cools off the same temp as below, I move them up there. I give them water bowls but after a few weeks up they stop drinking. I check on them every week.
They stay up there anywhere from Oct to march thru may. They let me know when they ready by digging out of the hay and moving around. This year they woke up early in Feb b/c Alabama weather is insane. The attic temp hit about almost 80 and woke them up.

This past winter was Stoli's first year to hibernate and she did great. Topaz hibernated the 1st year I had her and they all stayed inside at the time. She stopped eating and dug a burrow so I turned off all her UV bulbs and let her be. If she starts digging this year, I might let her stay out since her enclosure is deep enough.

Last edited:
They are beautiful! I love the enclosure as well. My mom's boss has a HUGE Sulcata named Tork. She said she might wind up giving him to me pretty soon, for reasons I dont wish to talk about,lol. He's awesome, and really cute!

Bisqit&Gravy :

love-my-wolves, Like your Squirt:) Hard to tell from the pic but is he a red eared slider?

Yep, he's a red ear. I have 2, and 1 captive bred map. The funny thing about squirt is that we raised him from 1/2 dollar size. The other 2 we bought died, so did the replacements, so all we could get at the time were a huge (about 4" round) red ear and the map. Well, within a few months, Squirt was as big as the other red ear!!! He grew so fast!! I would love a tort, but I worry that I don't have the space. Your settup is very nice, and gives me ideas! My DH will not be happy!!!
wink.png
Steph​

Thanks for the info. I did some checking around online last night to find out more about the russians. I like the size of them.
I would much rather have a set up like you do for your torts than a flower bed.
wink.png
I just couldn't figure out what I would do with them come winter....hibernation answered that question.

That's a really neat set up you have for your tortoises.
smile.png

Love-my-wolves - that is neat that you raised him from the 1/2 dollar size. How old is he? I have 2 and they're pretty good size. I've had them for about 14 - 15 years.

Back
Top Bottom